Chapter Three: Nero's Place

Chapter Three: Nero’s Place

Vespera

 I finished lining my eyes with kohl and rouging my lips. One of our servants had pulled my hair up, and she put in a golden diadem, which contrasted brightly against my black hair and matched the buttons on my shoulders that held my dress. My dress itself was white and draped neatly over my body, and it was cinched at the waist in the common modern fashion. I put in my golden hoop earrings and stood up, thanking the servant. She left the room, and Terentia walked in, already dressed and made up.

“You look beautiful!” she exclaimed. I grinned.

“You too,” I replied. She looked stunning, as usual, in her white dress matched with emerald jewelry.

“Are you ready to go?” she asked, smiling.

“Almost,” I answered. “Just let me lace my sandals.” I grabbed my sandals, the ones I saved for special occasions, and laced them up.

“Wonderful,” Terentia said. “Here, take this.” She tossed me my red palla, a cloak I wore around my shoulders and fastened with a fibula. I put it on and walked out with her, excited to go to the emperor’s palace.

We met our parents and Ignatius downstairs, and everyone looked wonderful.

My father is a handsome man. He’s got black hair and dark eyes, and he has a great smile—dazzling, and one that never fails to be contagious. He too is like me; a straight nose without a Roman arch. Ignatius and I take after him the most, and Terentia takes after Mother. Mother’s beauty is known amongst the patricians. She has curly brown hair streaked by the sun, but pale skin, like a stone. While my father has his smile, Mother has her eyes. They sparkle, and her profile is beautiful. She could be royalty. It was no wonder why my parents were favored amongst the patricians.

We left the house quietly but with dignity, as we always did. The emperor’s palace was only a short walk away, so we didn’t need to worry about long distances and becoming sweaty; nor did we have to worry about bandits.

A short time later, we arrived at the steps to the palace. I had walked past it many times, but this time, I felt special. I was going to enter the forbidden home. My family went ahead of me and I stayed behind, looking at the palace in wonder. I thought of whom we were going to meet: would the praetorian guards be as stately as I had imagined? Would even his servants walk proudly? Would we have the opportunity to meet Nero himself? I imagined handsome men, senators, perhaps, walking around proudly.

Suddenly, though, I heard the shuffling of sandals nearby, like someone was in a rush. I whipped my head to see who it was, but whomever it had been disappeared around a corner, and I could only glimpse his cloak as it billowed behind him. It was a guard, most likely. I wondered to where he was running in such a hurry. I was tempted to follow. Gods know I was tempted. But—

“Vespera, come on,” my father said gently, smiling. He was waiting patiently on the steps. I smiled back, apologized, and hurried after the rest of my family, excited to see the inside of Nero’s palace.

Gods, it was beautiful. Grand marble columns and incense and great halls—I couldn’t take it all in. And then my wild imagination started playing around. I imagined myself darting from behind columns, scaring the guards and servants, being able to steal away on my own. I bumped into Ignatius while I was thinking about all the shenanigans into which I could get.

“Careful, Vespera,” he said.

“Welcome, guests!” said a man in a loud, booming voice, which bounced off the columns.