Chapter Nine: See You Again?

Vespera

“What in the name of the gods were you thinking?” my father shouted when Sanctius had left. I flinched.

“I’m sorry,” I said quietly. “I just—”

“You—what, exactly?” Father growled. He was never angry with me, and he never yelled. He must’ve been furious. “Gods only know what could have happened to you!”

Well…I knew what could’ve happened, especially if Sanctius hadn’t saved me. But I didn’t say anything.

“Vespera, I’m very disappointed in your behavior,” Mother stepped in.

“Then tell Ignatius and Terentia to stop treating me like a child,” I stated boldly, with my chin raised.

“How can you expect for them to stop treating you like a child when you act so childish? Running away on Saturnalia? That was ridiculously foolish!” Father continued. My mother put a hand on his shoulder.

“Vincentius,” she said softly. She turned to me. “Unfortunately, your father is right. You behaved like a child last night.” At least she didn’t say I was a child. “You have to face the consequences now.”

I sighed and stood straight. “What are they?” I asked calmly.

Father started pacing while Mother looked on. He glanced up at me when he decided what my fate was to be. “You will not be allowed out of the house unless accompanied by your mother or me, or if we appoint Ignatius or Terentia to go with you. And your time out will be limited. If you wish to be outside otherwise, you can relax in the courtyard.”

I nodded. “I accept the punishment,” I stated. Father sighed.

“There’s my good daughter.” He came over and kissed my forehead. “We only do this because we love you, and I would never forgive myself if something were to happen to you.”

“I’m sorry, Father,” I apologized quietly, and he hugged me.

“Now,” he said when he pulled away, “remember your punishment. The term is one week.”

“Yes, Father,” I said, and he and Mother left to another end of the house. I sighed. I had expected a lot worse coming back, but I suppose my father was feeling merciful.

I went upstairs to my room, where I figured I’d end up spending most of the duration of my punishment. Terentia wasn’t there, to my relief, and I collapsed on my bed and pulled out Ulysses to read.

About an hour later, I heard Ignatius coming up the stairs. His footsteps were heavy but deliberate—that’s how I could tell. They were talking, probably about my disappearance for the night. The door to the room opened.

“Vespera!” Ignatius exclaimed. I put away the scroll and my brother stormed over and picked me up in a tight hug. “We were so worried about you!” he said into my shoulder. “I thought we’d lost you forever!”

“It was only one night,” I said softly, and then he put me down. He didn’t look angry in the least bit. He just looked concerned.

“I felt so guilty,” he stated. “It was all my fault. I’m sorry.”

I shook my head. “No, Ignatius,” I said. “It’s mine. I shouldn’t have run off.”

He kissed my forehead. “It’s over. Are you safe? Were you hurt?”

“No,” I replied. “A kind family offered me a place to stay the night.”

“Terentia told me you came with a boy. Was he…did he…?”