Chapter 4

It was Tuesday the next time Jennie heard from Rosie, short-tempered from her morning of difficult meetings with clients and investors, all who looked at Jennie with condescension, all of them old enough to be her father. It never failed to put her in a bad mood and Jennie was brooding in the quiet solitude of her office as she picked at her salad. The sound of her cell phone ringing was grating in the silence of the room but her annoyance quickly abated as she read Rosie's name and quickly snatched it up.

"Hello?"

"Hi! Is now a bad time? I thought it might be easier to call but-"

"Not at all. If anything, it's a welcome distraction."

"Rough morning?"

With a scoff of laughter, Jennie relaxed in her chair, turning it to face the windows as harsh sunlight blinded her. She could feel the tension bleeding out of her at the sound of Rosie's voice and it made her smile slightly.

"Annoying morning," Jennie sighed, "but how are you?"

"Good! I was just running errands and thought about getting lunch. And then I wondered if maybe you'd already eaten ..."

Swiveling her chair back around to eye her salad, Jennie smiled faintly, "no, I haven't."

"So ... how do you feel about Chinese food?"

"Let me just wrap up a couple of things and I'll meet you there?" Jennie suggested.

"I can come meet you at work if you want," Rosie offered, "it might be a nightmare to park your car."

Pausing, wariness creeping over her at the thought of Rosie at J Corporations, Jennie opened and closed her mouth before she relented. It would be more convenient, and she'd get to spend more time with Rosie as she stretched her legs.

"Sure. Um, I'm at 1200 West Cordova Street."

"Perfect. I'll see you soon."

Hanging up, Jennie trashed her salad and pushed the button on the desk phone for Karina's desk right outside the door, trapping the receiver between her shoulder and ear as her fingers flashed across the keyboard. Karina picked up after a second.

"Miss Kim."

"I'll be out of office for a while. Reschedule the workshop; I want to make sure I'm there for it."

"Yes, ma'am. Anything else?"

Pressing her lips together, Jennie thought for a moment as she pulled up her schedule, blocks of colour taking up most of her day. "No. I'll keep you posted if anything needs to be cancelled. If you hear from Jongin Industries, patch Kai through to me. I won't want to miss that."

"Of course."

"Thanks, Karina. You can probably take a longer lunch today; I don't think there's anything important that needs to be done."

"Thank you."

Putting the receiver down, Jennie locked her computer and shuffled her papers on her desk, arranging the folders in order and filing them into the cabinets before she grabbed her things and stalked out of the office. Giving Karina a small smile as she passed by the young woman's desk, she stepped into one of the elevators and pressed the button for the lobby.

It was lunchtime, which meant that the elevator stopped at multiple floors, her employees' faces going slack with shock before they composed themselves enough to climb in. It was rare for Jennie to leave her office and despite the fact that she was the youngest person at the office - aside from the summer interns - the array of scientists, business, mechanical engineering and computer science majors all seemed to sober up at the sight of her. They all offered her quiet greetings or nods, but none were brave enough to venture small talk, and Jennie lingered at the back of the packed elevator as she glanced down at her watch.