Chapter 77

They only stayed until Sunday in Seattle and the following week passed by too fast for Jennie to broach the topic of her eavesdropping. That weekend, Jungkook and Lisa were in town from Seattle to visit Ashley and reunite with Rosie again, and Jimin was freshly back from his deployment.

Jennie suggested a game night at the house, more than enough room for everyone to fit in, and they extended invitations to Irene, Suho and Jisoo as well. It was the first time Rosie had been around so many familiar faces since being back, and while Jennie was a little bit anxious about how she'd cope with it, it was worth it to see the joy on Rosie's face when she opened the door to Lisa.

There was a bond between those that had served overseas together that those that hadn't were on the outside of, but it made Jennie's heart soar to see the understanding between them. Rosie hugged them just a little bit longer and Jennie was filled with the quiet hope that it would make things easier for her, even just for one night.

"I've missed you," Rosie said as she pulled back from Lisa and wrapped Jungkook in a tight hug.

"Us?" Jungkook echoed with a loud laugh, "the last time we saw you, it was an empty box being lowered into the ground. You have some explaining to do."

Rolling her eyes, her smile a little strained, Rosie ushered them inside and Jennie stepped forward from where she was hovering in the doorway to the living room. Greetings were exchanged, friendly hugs and offers to take coats and fetch drinks.

"It's a long story," Rosie wearily replied.

Jungkook clapped a hand on her shoulder, squeezing reassuringly. "Yeah, even Jaehyun wouldn't talk about it when I gave him a call. And you know how much he loved the sound of his own voice."

Rosie snorted, shaking her head as she suppressed a laugh. She fetched two beers and handed them over, while Jennie refilled her wine glass.

"You heard from him much?" Jungkook continued.

"No, not at all," Rosie murmured. "I'm not really keen to, to be honest."

Lisa nodded with understanding, rubbing Rosie's back before changing the subject. Looping her arm through Lisa's, Rosie exhaled and then drew herself up, taller and perked up.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone else."

Taking a seat in between Ashley and Jisoo on one of the sofas, Jennie took a sip of her wine and watched Rosie make introductions, feeling content to sit there and nurse her drink as music played in the background and multiple conversations overlapped with laughter as everyone mingled. Some of these people she didn't know too well and others were family, her best friends, and it was a nice mixture as Jennie studied the life they'd created together.

Pizza was soon delivered for dinner, boxes passed around and slices held as the ten of them split up into random pairs and they raced through round after round of Pictionary, taking it in turns to draw on the board while guesses were shouted out and the artists were heckled. Jennie couldn't remember the last time she'd laughed so much, her eyes always straying to Rosie to check if she was laughing too.

When Alice suggested Cards Against Humanity, Jennie went to fetch new drinks and refills for people, Ashley tagging along to lend a hand as they stood in the considerably cooler kitchen, pouring wine, vodka and soda, opening beer bottles and rinsing glasses.

"How're you doing?"

Looking up at Ashley, Jennie's mild look of surprise melted into exasperation as she smiled, "just fine. You don't have to keep checking up on me, you know."