Chapter 43

Jennie's alarm went off early the next morning and she fumbled to switch it off before sitting up and rubbing a hand over her face. Stretching, she yawned widely, jaw clicking, and felt the bone-deep exhaustion of a deep sleep cut too short after a night of crying. The photo album was just out of her reach, on the nightstand, and she reached for it, idly flipping through the pages as her heart twinged before setting it back down and climbing out of bed.

Smoothing out the sheets and throwing open the curtains, she changed into workout clothes and moved through the dark house, down to the basement where she moved through a Muay Thai workout by herself, earphones in with music blasting and pent up energy to burn off. It was almost an hour later when she made her way upstairs, wiping her sweaty forehead with a small towel as she sipped lemon water and tried to slow her breathing, and went upstairs to shower and get ready for work.

Donning a black turtleneck and grey tapered pants, she swept her hair up and did her makeup, masking the dark circles beneath her eyes and applying a dark red lipstick, hoping it would help muster her usual confidence for her first day back in two weeks. After brushing her teeth and picking out a handbag and coat to match her outfit, she made her way down to the kitchen, feeding Athena and then fixing herself a little bowl of muesli and taking it outside to her small garden.

Sipping green tea in the morning chill, she stared out at the shadowy trees, blurred in the blue tint of dusk, the rotting smell of autumn enveloping her as she brooded alone. Athena joined her after a while, laying at her feet and enjoying the peacefulness before footsteps in the kitchen disturbed them both.

Glancing over her shoulder, Jennie blankly took in Alice's silhouette in the open doorway. "What time is it?" Alice grumbled, letting out a weary sigh as she stepped outside, barefoot and hugging her t-shirt to herself.

"Six-thirty."

"Why are you awake this early? Why are you sitting outside this early?"

Climbing to her feet, Jennie snagged her bowl and cup and walked over to Alice. "I was eating breakfast before work."

Groaning, Alice gave her a pained look, "please don't tell me you're going into the office today."

"I've been away for two weeks; do you know how many potential millions that could have jeopardized for the company? So, yeah, I'm going to the office today. What else am I going to do?"

"Take a day and process."

Jennie squeezed past her, dumping her breakfast bowl in the sink and pouring the dregs of tea down the drain before she wiped her hands on a dishtowel. Setting it down on the counter with a sigh, her lips twisted for a moment as she hesitated.

"I don't need to process anything; I'm fine."

"Yeah, I'm sure that means something. Let me wake up the resident shrink and see what she has to say."

"Very funny," Jennie softly laughed, her eyebrows winging up with amusement. "Don't worry, you can stay as long as you want to. Just don't touch my scotch."

Rolling her eyes, Alice assured her she wouldn't and said she was going back to bed. Still, she waited for Jennie to leave first, trailing her to the door, watching as she pulled on a pair of black Louboutins and touched up her lipstick in the hallway mirror before saying goodbye.

Parking in her usual spot, Jennie rode the elevator up to her office and was greeted by Karina as soon as she stepped off, her assistant taking her bag and coat and falling into their easy routine as she handed Jennie her tablet and carried a coffee and the morning's paper into the office. A row of manila folders was neatly arranged on her desk, pale morning sunlight streaming in, and Jennie sank down onto her chair behind her desk with the comforting weight of ordinary life settling over her.