Chapter 5

Jennie parked outside the zoo, on the outskirts of the city, tucked into the beginnings of the foothills with a surprisingly mundane appearance as Jennie eyed the front entrance. The walls were tall and solid, an abundance of trees and vines and plants growing there, and the smell of animals, hay and manure hung in the air as they climbed out of the car.

As they crossed the parking lot, Jennie's phone started ringing and she glanced down at the number, stomach sinking at the sight of Kai Kim's name lighting up the screen. With a weary sigh, she gave Rosie an apologetic smile.

"Would you mind if I got this?"

"Go ahead."

Accepting the call, Jennie pressed her cell phone to her ear, meandering along to the ticket booth as she spoke, trying to keep the irritation out of her voice.

"Kai, hi."

"Jennie. Is now a bad time?"

"It'll have to be quick. Sorry."

"No, no, don't apologise. I just wanted to discuss the acquisition before dinner on Monday. Are you free Saturday night? We could get drinks."

Grimacing, Jennie peered sideways at Rosie, clearing her throat as she lowered her voice to a murmur. "Saturday? I can't, sorry. If there's an issue with the proposal, I can call my lawyers and-"

"No, it's nothing like that. I just want to know who I'm selling my company to."

"You already know who," Jennie stiffly replied. "If this is because of my- nevermind. I have to go. I'll see you at the meeting. Monday. Don't be late."

Kai's chuckle irked her, despite its warmth, or maybe because of it, as if he found her brusque manner amusing. Hanging up on him, Jennie shoved her phone into her bag and rummaged around for her purse, pulling out her credit card before she looked up and saw Rosie studying her.

"You're busy," she murmured, a look of understanding in her eyes as she jerked her head to the car, "come on, let's go. We can come-"

"No, no," Jennie blurted out, seizing Rosie's arm as she stepped in close, feeling her face flush at the desperation. Letting go as if she'd been burned, Jennie cleared her throat and stepped back. "It's fine. It wasn't anything important; I just have a meeting on Monday and they're being pushy."

"An important meeting?"

With a harried air about her, Jennie tossed her ponytail and smiled thinly, "I'm trying to acquire a company that deals in nanotechnology. I think it'd help push J Corporations's environmentally friendly projects to the next level in sustainability and ... well, I won't bore you with it. But it's a big deal."

Jennie's smile was shy and Rosie gave her arm a squeeze, "you'll be great."

"Yeah? The board is hedging their bets about how this will turn out. But ... right now, I have some hand holding to do."

Rosie thread her fingers through Jennie's and swung their entwined hands slightly before her expression dropped and she gave her a mildly panicked look. "You meant with the otters, didn't you?"

Laughing, Jennie squeezed her hand as Rosie tried to let go, leaning in close, "I did."

She dropped her hand as they stepped up to the ticket booth and paid for them both, the woman handing over two tickets and a large paper map to direct them around the enclosures. Pushing through the turnstile, Jennie unfolded the map and shook it out, narrowing her eyes as she took stock of the enclosures.

"The otters are this way," Rosie said, taking hold of her arm and gently tugging her with a playful smile on her face.

Folding the map, Jennie smiled and allowed herself to be dragged down the paved path, overgrown trees shading the way, before they came to a large tank with windows revealing the scene inside. Standing side by side, Rosie still clinging to Jennie's arm, they watched the otters slip in and out of the water, twisting and playing as they went. Rosie dragged Jennie over to a little hole in the side of the enclosure, away from the pool of water they splashed in, her face lighting up with excitement as she turned to face Jennie.