chapter 4

Octavia came back to her common room after a little stroll through the hallways with Max. Her friends waited for her there.

"Octavia, you didn't tell us you saw Regulus Black?" told her Lilah once she sat by her side on the green-velvet sofa.

"I'd rather forget about this. My parents invited the Blacks and it wasn't a good day. Nothing more to say," answered Octavia merely, trying to look convincing knowing the eyes of Lilah, Jaden and Zephyr were fixed upon her.

"Okay, if you say so. Let's not talk about this anymore," concluded Jaden, standing up under the others' stares.

Zephyr left after him, saying good night to the girls.

"He doesn't trust me does he?" hissed the ginger-haired girl. "Whatever."

And she kept quiet afterward.

Lilah went to sleep when she felt tiredness hit her. Octavia didn't feel tired however so she stayed in the common room for a while, thinking while contemplating the fire.

"I know you'd be awake," said a familiar voice, breaking the silence of the night.

"How?" she replied, not looking up as her brother went to sit by her side.

"You're overthinking. I know it," answered Evan while elbowing her in a joking manner and a smile crossed her features.

"Bruh how come you see so clearly without your glasses on," she muttered, trying to muffle her laugh.

"I'm a genius. I use my brain."

Octavia laughed and continued watching the crackling fire, Evan doing the same. He interrupted her train of thoughts after a while.

"How are things going with Regulus Black?" he asked in a detached voice.

The question made her sigh loudly. "How are things going with Cecily Rowle?"

He grinned faintly at her answer before actually giving a reply. "It's... going."

She hummed and replied to his own question. "It's going," she then told him in a similar way. And they laughed together.

"It seemed a little... tense between you earlier."

"This jerk didn't have to annoy me like that," hissed the girl in an irritated manner.

"You two really dislike each other."

"I hate him."

"I'm sorry for you," he said in a compassionate manner.

"Instead of being sorry for me, be sorry for yourself first. You didn't earn the best neither."

"I know. Cecily is really..."

"Stupid? Ugly? Boring?" she suggested right away and he could only agree.

"She doesn't seem bothered, but I don't know if I'd rather want a somehow enthusiastic fiancée or someone like Black who isn't happy about this and is being a jerk."

"I'm sure I'd rather want someone like Rowle!" exclaimed the ginger-haired girl.

"But she's unbearable!" rejoined Evan, his blue eyes widened in surprise at her statement.

"So is Regulus Black!" told him Octavia.

"Neither is better in the end," sighed the boy.