chapter 10

When the clock stroke six, guests arrived one by one. Octavia, accompanied by Evan, Felix and her parents Evan and Gabrielle, welcomed each of them. It was a duty the girl really hated, but it felt almost appreciable compared to the moment she had to greet the Blacks.

"Good evening Evan, Gabrielle... Isn't that Evan? You grew up a lot. Oh and Octavia, didn't you get prettier since last time?" exclaimed the woman with fake enthusiasm. Felix was merely ignored, and Octavia felt jealous.

"Mrs. Black, that's too nice of you but thank you," told her the girl, with a smile she hoped wasn't too crisped.

"You saw Regulus of course? He suggested to come earlier so you could catch up a little before this fancy party," she continued.

"Yes of course. We managed to catch up," answered the girl, not commenting on the fact that Regulus had told her something different.

The woman went back to talking with her parents and husband as Octavia turned her focus towards new guests arriving in.

"I'm really sorry..." whispered discreetly Evan by her side. He felt sorry she would have such an awful mother-in-law and she knew it.

She didn't say anything and continued her duty, "Mr. Flint, always great to have you home. Is Ivanna around?"

"Yes, right behind," said the man.

The girl was indeed behind, accompanied by her mother and Lilah, and Lilah's family. Octavia went to give her friend a big hug, going to embrace Ivanna in the process.

"You guys don't even imagine how boring life is when you're not there," sighed Octavia.

"Probably just as boring as our lives," answered Lilah, laughing sourly.

"Stop complaining, you two must meet often."

"My mother isn't too fond of her mother so it doesn't happen as often as you might think," replied Ivanna.

"But like five minutes ago they were..."

"Octavia? Do you still get fooled by our people? Nobody has a real friend here. Sometimes we don't even have real families," replied the girl ironically.

"Except us of course," rejoined Lilah.

Zephyr arrived a few seconds later and Octavia barely had time to greet him before she heard the annoying high-pitched voice of her mother.

"Octavia! Get back here!" muttered the woman, a frown on her slim pale face.

She sighed, sent a look to her friends before leaving them.

Once everyone seemed to be arrived, she wandered alone through the crowd, sometimes engaging in conversations with her parents' friends and sometimes with her housemates, when they would get along which only included her roommate Peony and rare others.

But at some point, she heard whispers behind her. She instantly turned around and came face to face with two women, they looked much older than her and seemed to be in their twenties already.

"Hi Octavia, we wanted to further talk with you," spoke the blonde one, with a soft voice and a gentle look in her clear grey eyes.

"Oh, you're Narcissa and Bellatrix-"

"Yes Reggie's cousins," finished the black-haired one, a huge smirk on her lips, her dark eyes with a look of dementia in them, contrasting with her sister's.

"Yeah, that's right, I almost forgot because you don't have the same name anymore."

"You look like a really nice and correct girl for our cousin Reggie, I'm really happy."