27

The omega bites his lip. He wants to reach out, he wants to touch the alpha, to make sure he's real. He has a feeling his advances won't be appreciated though. So, he settles for curling his hands into loose fists on his lap.

He needs to say it, just once, needs to make sure, "Oro?"

The alpha turns to look at him and Oliver's heart skips a beat.

"Don't call my name," the alpha says, "don't even think it."

Oliver winces.  Compliant he falls silent and turns to the window.  The houses and trees and light all pass in a dizzying blur and Oliver closes his eyes so he doesn't have to see.  He already knows the way back home.

His face scrunches into a grimace again and he rubs at the spot his pup is assaulting, trying to breathe through the sharp pain caused by the little kicks.  He feels someone watching him and he gazes at Oro's face.  The alpha is curious and his hand clenches and unclenches as if he wants to touch.

Oro looks up and finds the omega staring at him blatantly.  With a sigh he states, "we'll talk when we get there, just know your fate is already decided."

Oliver nods, "you're going to kill me... right?"

Oro doesn't reply, yet that seems to be answer enough.

Once they get to the pack house Oliver doesn't get a chance to speak with the man.  He's dismissed the moment they step inside and Oro is welcomed back with open arms by his pack.  The alpha is immediately led to his study, Colt giving him a breakdown on everything that's happened since he died... or disappeared.  Oliver isn't sure he knows what happened to his alpha, all he knows is that now he's back and angry.

Finding himself shunned, Oliver makes his way to his bedroom.  He forgets that it was once his alpha's den and the alpha is unamused when he finds the omega napping in his bed, buried in a nest that wasn't completely there before.

Oliver is roused by the scent of an angry alpha and he sits up in bed, breathing heavily with the effort.  He looks around and he finds the man sitting at the foot attempting to reign in his furious pheromones and failing.  A small sound falls from the omega's lips, drawing the attention of bright red eyes.

The alpha looks... exhausted for lack of a better word.  He looks rundown and tired.

"Maybe I wouldn't feel as angry and betrayed if you hadn't gone to that shitface of a man.  Maybe if you had killed me in my sleep with your own means and intentions I would've let it slide and wouldn't have revolted from hell.  Maybe, just fucking maybe, I wouldn't feel like throttling you right now if you hadn't betrayed me like that.  But right now, all I want is your literal heart in my hand."

Oliver bites his lip, trying to fight the urge of running away.

He tries to ignore the fear and the pitiful tears building up.  He doesn't deserve to cry.  He dug his own grave.

"Is the pup mine?"

Oliver feels affronted at that though, "of course!  Why would you think otherwise?"

"Because I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that you betrayed me! All I could come up with is that the pup wasn't mine, that you were scared-"

"I was!  I am scared.  I know I should've told you, but I thought... I thought you'd toss me aside, you'd kill me for being useless.  You threatened to kill me so many times I was scared this would be the last straw."

Oro clarifies, "so you did it for the pup."

A nod.

"Ok," the alpha concedes, "then I'll let you have the pup.  I'll allow you to give birth to the pup and once it's born I'll kill you.  Sounds fair, right?"

Oliver stares at the alpha, his heart pounding loudly in his chest.

"Can I-"

"There's no negotiation.  This is your punishment.  I think it's fitting.  I'll do exactly what you were afraid of, but at least your pup will live."

"What will you do with them, with our pup?"

"Your pup," the alpha corrects, "you made that abundantly clear.  As for the pup, I'll make sure it lives.  I'll provide for it, that's all."

"That wasn't my intention," Oliver argues.

"I don't care.  Now grab your shit and get out of my room.  You're going to be in the room across.  I'm going to keep tight reigns on you, omega.  I will suffocate you and make sure you never think about betraying me again before I can kill you."

The omega shivers in fear, he doesn't move.

"GET OUT!"

He has no choice.

He struggles to stand from the bed in order to comply.  The alpha offers no help when he fails and has to try again.  The embarrassment of appearing weak makes his face burn red and his chest feel tight.  He feels anger brewing at himself.  He feels so fucking stupid and so ridiculously useless.  Finally he manages to stand, hand pressing against his lower back at a twinge of pain.

With a huff he walks to the door, his gait slow as he waddles out.

The click of the door behind him is as loud as if the door were slammed in his face.

He stands for a long moment, trying to stop the burning of tears.

He only allows one to fall before he wipes it away.

"You brought this upon yourself," he whispers to himself frustrated, "so stop crying."

He heads to what is now his room, the scent that wafts toward him is stale with the film of dust covering every surface.  His omega looks around displeased, immediately missing the smell of his alpha just across the hall.

He doesn't deserve to miss the man, to ache for him and want only him.

Instead he focuses on cleaning, of wiping away the cobwebs and dust before trying to get his nest just right.

It's never right.

If the alpha listens to the omega struggling, the omega doesn't know.

Nor does he know how the alpha has to fight with himself when the omega gives up and begins crying softly.