39

They don't talk.

There's no angry shouting, no argument.  In fact, there are no sounds aside from their soft breathing.  Occasionally Oliver shifts in his seat, the seatbelt pulling him snuggly just so and disrupting the growing silence.  He doesn't break it.  He feels like he's fractured enough between them with words that shouldn't have been said, shouldn't have escaped even with how angry and jealous he felt.  

He closes his eyes against the onslaught of fresh tears, nose burning and feeling like he wants to sneeze.

He startles when a hand wraps closed around his laying limply against his thigh.  His gaze flickers up to the alpha, a sniff making his throat ache.

Still, they don't break this suffocating and tenacious silence.

There's so much to say.

So much to express.

But right now everything is so fragile.

One wrong thing and they could fall apart. Such a precarious thing they still have.

So, while he wants to stare at his mate's profile, he chooses to focus on the blurring buildings, the trees and parked cars whirring by as they drive home. He feels the build of hunger, realizing that they didn't even get to enjoy their dinner.  Oliver sinks into his seat further, trying to make himself small with the guilt of ruining their evening.

He looks up when a bright yellow 'M' comes into view.  He bites his lip when the car turns into the parking lot before wrapping around and reaching the drive-thru.  He holds his breath as the alpha orders for the both of them.

Oliver grabs the bag once it's offered to him.  He holds it tight, fists crinkling the brown paper bag but refusing to open it despite the wonderful smell of fries wafting to him. 

He doesn't open the bag out of stubbornness, instead it's out of the unsurety making him question if he can.  He doesn't know what the alpha is thinking. 

Eventually, they pull away and a couple minutes later they find themselves at a park, the sunset making everything glow a warm orange despite the settling chill.  Oliver doesn't move.

The driver's door opens before quickly being shut after the alpha steps out.  Oliver waits with bated breath, looking up when the alpha opens his door.  Oro avoids his gaze as he leans over him and unbuckles the seatbelt, hand casually brushing against his swelling belly.  It makes Oliver's heart ache and skip a beat.  And then the man is offering his hand. 

Biting his lip, Oliver takes the helpful hand carefully guiding him out of the car. He stumbles just so, but his alpha is there to steady him. And they lock eyes on each other.  

Oliver suddenly feels stupid. 

"I'm sorry."

They blink owlishly at each as their apologies sync together.

A dusting of pink covers Oliver's cheek, the alpha clearing his throat and looking rather sheepishly.

"I'm sorry for over-reacting," Oliver pushes through, "I know you wouldn't... I know that you're it for me.  I just worry that you'll realize that maybe I'm not... I'm not strong enough to stand beside you."

"You're ridiculous," Oro huffs, "you're stronger than you give yourself credit.  You've faced the barrel of my gun more times than I can count, you've plotted my death-"

Oliver grimaces at that.

But the alpha continues, "you nearly succeeded and I'm so proud of you for that.  You've made me realized my flaws and I'm the one who is afraid you'll realize that I don't deserve you, that you're too good for someone as broken and cruel as me."

Oliver looks into the alpha's eyes and leans up to press a chaste kiss onto his lips.  The alpha's hand, poised against his waist, tightens.  A reassurance that he's still there, that they're still there.  Together.

"Maybe we should seek therapy," Oliver whispers.

Oro snorts in amusement, but not unkindly, "whatever it takes to keep you by my side."

The omega smiles at that, "I-"

The words get stuck in his throat.

He realizes he doesn't have to finish the sentiment.

Oro already knows, "me too."

I love you.