Heart of Gold

The gunshot is loud and it feels as if it reverberates from the walls and rattles his bones into his core. It's the quick succession after the first that makes his blood run cold, the pure hatred behind each bang. It sounds like fireworks, it's overkill.

The silence after doesn't last long and yet it was more deafening than the sobs that fill the air. The sixteen year old peers over the door frame, eyes skimming over the red of the bedsheets and landing on a slumped figure at the foot of the bed. His heart aches and head pounds in confusion. He's not sure what he's looking at.

No.

That's a lie.

He knows exactly what just happened.

"Why'd you do it?" He asks.

The person tenses before taking the gun and aiming it at him. He raises a brow unamused. Something tells him the courage is gone, the heat of the moment already passed in a flurry of gunpowder induced thunder and lightening.

"Don't move."

The voice is tight, high-pitched and feminine. It's a voice he'd recognize anywhere.

"I asked why'd you do it?"

"I overheard them talking about me," she sniffs pathetically.

"So you killed them?"

She clarifies bitterly, "I overheard them talking about how they were going to sell me for being an omega."

"You could've run away."

"Dad wouldn't have let me go, he would've found me."

"Give me the gun."

The girl shakes her head, standing up on shaky legs and stepping back with caution.

"Ser," he calls, hand extended, "Give. Me. The. Gun."

Each word is punctuated with a step closer. Her hands tremble and for a second he's worried she'll actually shoot him. He's a foot away when he manages to disarm her. Her sobs are heartbreaking as she breaks down, eyes widening in shock at the realization of what she just did. She stares at her hands and he can hear the guilt slowly overwhelming her.

He holds her stare as he takes the gun, aims it at the man's head lolled to the side and shoots him right in between the eyes for good measure. The sound startles her and she stares in shock.

"Grab your bag and go."

"What?"

"I know you packed something just in case. So grab your shit and go."

"What about-"

"My prints are on the weapon," he shrugs, "I'll take the fall."

"But I killed them," she protests.

"Yes, to escape their greed and the gilded cage they set up. If you stay here, you will end up caged anyway."

"I don't want you to get in trouble, though."

"I'm the oldest. I can handle it. Now leave and don't look back."

She hesitates a second too long.

"Today, you have to go right now."

He pushes her toward the door, holds her hand to drag her when she barely budges. Even when he shoves the bag hidden under her bed into her arms she refuses to leave. He looks at her desperately, willing her to leave already. Instead she grips his hand tugs him along with her until they're at the back door.

"Come with me," she begs.

In the background he hears sirens.

"Ser."