Author's Note

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel obligated to write this book after 1.5. However, 'When Our Stars Align' truly got its start in an assignment. I was instructed to write a short story, and my mind immediately said, "Hey, let's write a oneshot for Prophecy." The only obstacle was that I had to write a oneshot for my fanfiction series that none of my colleagues had read. I did eventually manage (let's see if y'all can guess which one was the assigned one) and the beginnings of this book was born.

Disclaimer: you need to read 'Prophecy' for the events of these stories to make sense.

     The events of 'When Our Stars Align' are chronologically before, during, and after the events of Prophecy, and they heavily rely on character arcs there to tell their stories here. If you'd like to read the Departed series in order, I have a list of the books below -->

     Book 1: Departed (full-length novel)

     Book 1.5: How I Met You (five oneshots)

     Book 2: Prophecy (full-length novel)

     Book 2.5: When Our Stars Align (five oneshots)

     Book 3: By the Hand of a Thief (novella | releasing August 22, 2022)

     I am going to start working on a timeline that should help explain the necessary elements of Prophecy. That way if you don't want to invest your time in reading the whole series, you can still enjoy these singular stories. Once I finish the timeline, I'll link it in the comments next to this paragraph. As always, if you have any questions about a reference in the oneshots, I'd be happy to help answer those.

     Before we jump into the story, I have a few warnings.

     1. This book is not rated G. While there will not be any language or adult themes, there will be a bit of blood, death, depression, mental stress, etc. Think of this as clean YA fanfiction.

     2. I will publish one oneshot every three weeks on Monday night and have posted the schedule below. This is to help give me time to finish my other writing projects. In the weeks I am not working on editing a oneshot, I will be posting chapters to my Street Smarts AU. I will link that in this paragraph. The Street Smarts AU is not connected to the Departed canon, but it's a fun little story nonetheless.

     3. Finally, my 'Departed Shenanigans' book is filled with fun extras about the Departed canon. If you'd like snippets, stories, or fanart involving the upcoming oneshots, please check that book out (link in comment).

     That should be everything. Thank you all for choosing to read this story and I'll see you all a few weeks with the first oneshot!

     #1 – May 16th, 2022

     #2 – June 6th, 2022

     #3 – June 27th, 2022

     #4 – July 18th, 2022

     #5 – August 1st, 2022