02 ┃ 𝐞𝐥 𝐦𝐮𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐨

━ ⭒─⭑━

The Casa Madrigal was alive with joy and excitement as the youngest member of the family, Camilo, received his gift from Casita.

"I'm so proud of you, mi pequeñito," Pepa exclaimed, showering her son with kisses and tears as a small rain cloud formed over her head.

"Mamá," Camilo whined, his face flushing with embarrassment.

Unable to let go of her son, Pepa continued to smother him with affection until Camilo turned to his father for help.

"Pápa," he pouted, reaching out towards Félix for rescue.

Chuckling, Félix walked over and effortlessly lifted Camilo from Pepa's tight grip with one hand. "That's enough, mi vida. Give the boy some space," he smiled, placing Camilo back on the ground to run off and play.

Pepa's eyes welled up with tears, "If I let him go, he'll grow up and leave me," she cried, her thundercloud releasing a small boom before showering her in rainwater.

"Shoo, shoo." Félix gently coaxed the clouds away, "It's okay to feel sad, Pepa. Camilo is growing up, but that's a natural part of life."

Pepa buried her head in her husband's shoulder, pulling at the ends of her hair in frustration. "I know, but it's hard to let go."

"Take your time, mi vida. You'll feel better soon," Félix reassured her.

"I know," Pepa sighed before her eyes sparkled with a mischievous idea. "Do you want to have another child!?"

Félix was taken aback, his eyes widening comically as he choked on his own breath. Before he could respond, a tall, dark-skinned man burst into Casita with a look of worry etched on his face.

"What's wrong, José?" a blonde woman asked, stepping towards the anxious man.

"There are people coming down the trail! Someone has entered Encanto!" José exclaimed, his voice filled with urgency.

The news sparked a wave of panic throughout the house.

"It's not possible! No one can enter!"

"Do you think he made a mistake?"

"What if they're the bad people!?"

"It can't be. We haven't seen any sign of them in over forty years." A voice boomed over the commotion, silencing the crowd. "Enough!" All eyes turned to the head of the Madrigal family, Alma Madrigal, as she made her way down the steps with a commanding presence.

Alma approached José with determination, her every step exuding purpose. "Is what you said true, José?" she demanded, her tone conveying the seriousness of the situation.

"Yes, Doña Alma," he replied, his own face etched with concern.

Without hesitation, Alma called out for her third eldest grandchild. "Dolores, please come here. We need your assistance."

With footsteps as quiet as a mouse, Dolores Madrigal deftly weaved through the crowd to stand before her. Dolores needed no explanation as she tilted her head to the side, humming softly before relaying her findings. "There are four people traveling here in an old wagon pulled by a donkey. Three of them are adults, while one is a child. I believe the child is sick by the sound of coughs and snivels I'm hearing, and that one of the three adults is elderly by the sound of joints popping."

Alma thanked Dolores with a smile before turning to her eldest child and daughter, Julieta. "Julieta, please have food on standby and ensure that the guest rooms are in order."