06 ┃ 𝐋𝐚 𝐥𝐮𝐳 𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐚́ 𝐞𝐧

━ ⭒─⭑━

The stars hung in the night sky as if strung in the air by invisible strings. It was peaceful, with the occasional sound of crickets in the background as you walked away from

As soon as dinner was over, you immediately rushed away, unable to handle the congratulations from the many Madrigals.

Though Alma made great points as to why it should be you in charge of the ceremony, you couldn't help the small clouds of doubt that snuck into your head, telling you otherwise.

"Well, no use of stressing myself out over it. What's done is done," you told yourself, wrapping your cloak tighter around your figure.

As you walked down the dirt path to your home, the sight of a small candle flickering in the windowsill brought a smile to your face; it meant that your father was home.

You haven't seen him in a while—four months, to be exact. Your father was often away, traveling beyond the giant walls that sheltered the enchanted city from outside civilizations to trade.

Sometimes, his expeditions would last far longer than four months, so he must have decided to come back sooner rather than linger out there in the world.

With a quickened pace, you soon found yourself standing before the wooden door. Opening it, you were met with your father sitting in a chair near the crackling fireplace, staring down at something in his lap while your mother sat across from him, gently bouncing a small bundle in her arms.

At the sound of your entrance, your father looked up, a tired look on his face.

The second you blink, your mother is gone. Shaking your head, you turned to smile at your father. "Pápa, you're home."

Your father said nothing, only returning a small smile of his own before standing up to give you a hug.

As you reached your arms around him, you were able to catch a glimpse of the photograph that once held his attention before your arrival: it was a picture of your smiling mother.

"How have you been, muñequita? I haven't seen you in a while." Your father asked, pressing a loving kiss onto your forehead before releasing you to walk back over to the chair.

Following him, you set yourself down on the floor at his feet instead of the chair across from him.

"I've been okay, Pápa. The Madrigals have kept me company and well in your absence. How about you?" You stared up at him with a questioning stare, taking in his disheveled form.

"I've been great, muñequita," he responded, sending you a smile that never reached his eyes.

You wanted to argue against his answer; he looked far from great, with dark bags hanging underneath his eyes and sunken cheeks that showcased his cheekbones, but you held your tongue.

The next few moments were spent in peace as your father and you caught up with one another, the crackling of the fireplace adding to the calm atmosphere.

"So a little birdie told me that you'll have a leading role in this year's Día de Muertos. Is it true?"

You know that he knew that it was true; he just wanted to hear you admit it. "Yes, Pápa. Doña Alma made the announcement at dinner. Apparently, she thought it would be best if I'd taken control and hosted this year's ceremony because of my gift."

After listening to you give the explanation, your father held a hand to his chest, letting an exaggerated sigh leave his body. "Ah, to think, you'll be in charge of such an important event. My little girl has grown up so fast."