01

Lightning flashed outside and thunder boomed shortly after. Rain fell gently towards the ground and her fingers traced the droplets that raced down the glass window. She sat at the little window nook in her home and smiled at it all.

         She loved the way the sky became dark and cloudy, almost moody, like it was determined to ruin the day. Then the different droplets of rain would start to pour down, making everything wet and yet giving life to all of Nature. The lightening would flash through the dark sky, illuminating everything in its path. Thunder would follow creating a loud boom that seemed like it could shake the ground.

        And yet, after all the storm's dreariness, there would be a beautiful rainbow that painted the sky. She thought that storms symbolized life because life could be dreary but then there were the beautiful moments like a rainbow that made life feel like everything was perfect and completely alright.

             So, it could be said she had a fascination with storms. Although, it probably had more to do with the fact that she could create them with just a simple thought.

            She wasn't supposed to do it, though. She turned her head away from her beautiful storm at the sound of her name.

                Eira. Her name was shouted across the house and her mother-like figure came into view.

             Janet gave her a stern look, "Eira, honey, what did I tell you about creating storms? When the weather changes so suddenly, these are things people look into. This is why we had to move last time."

             It was true they had to move a lot...because of her. She was an anomaly not only because of her abilities because she didn't even look like anyone else. She had hair as white as snow and it made her stick out like a sore thumb. It was why she was home-schooled. Some people liked to be bullies and she didn't like bullies.

               "I'm sorry," she gave Janet a guilty pout.

              "I know you love your storms and I wish we lived on a planet where you could control the weather openly but we don't," Janet sat down beside her. "People aren't special like you."

             "I'm not special, Janet. I'm just...trouble because that's what I cause," Eira frowned.

             "Don't ever say that," Janet rubbed her back. "You're special and unique and good. People wouldn't want you so badly if you weren't."

               It was true that she was a wanted person by the government but more specifically by SHIELD. She used to be in their custody after they found her as a kid inside of a destroyed McDonalds (apparently she had done it).

          Janet had been hired as her caretaker but the woman didn't like how the kid became more of a lab rat once she started displaying her powers. So Janet took her and they have been running ever since.

             She could not recall anything before SHIELD found her. For all she knew, she had no family. All she had was this woman that had given her life away to make sure she had one. Janet was even the one to give her a name.

              "Plus," Janet smiled and joked. "If you were trouble, do you think I'd put up with you?"

            Eira giggled and shook her head before looking over at Janet with a small smile. The storm outside disappeared and the clouds went away to reveal the sunny day it was supposed to have been.

               "Now," Janet stood up. "We need to get in our math lessons for the day."

            Eira made a sour face and her nose scrunched before following her begrudgingly, "I don't like math."

              _____

            She woke with a start. Ghostly blue eyes haunted her mind and terror filled her heart for a reason she could not explain. She held no memory and only a shadow of a feeling remained.

              Rain pelted the roof.

             "Was it the same?" Janet questioned from the doorway. It was hard to stay asleep with a storm but it always lulled Eira right to bed.

              "Yes," Eira sighed and laid her head back down on the pillow, curling up under the covers in frustration.

               "One day you're going to remember but, for now...please dream sweet dreams," Janet stated. "For my sake, so I don't have to worry about you and can stop giving up nights of sleep."

               Eira smiled and the rain stopped, "Alright. I'll try."

              "Thank you. You're keeping me sane," she said as she walked out.

               "Sweet dreams, Janet," Eira called out to her.

                But Eira didn't sleep for the rest of the night. She didn't think of the terrible eyes but of something else in her dream. Something new. She thought of the hammer with lightning flickering around it.