06

Things changed so drastically after Thor left. Although, she was sad he was gone, it was a new dawn for her. Recordings of what happened in New Mexico went viral and she was a bit famous now. She'd be walking down the street and people would want her autograph.

She didn't live in Minnesota anymore. She was now a permanent employee of SHIELD and she lived in Washington. Janet was concerned for her.

Eira packed her things into boxes at home. She was moving out and it was honestly kind of exciting. She was off to find her own home.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" Janet asked as she helped pack, too.

"Janet, I'm old enough. SHIELD can't hurt me and I can't be their experiment."

"I'm not worried about SHIELD. I'm worried you're giving your life away for one that you don't really want," she advised. "You make enemies in this life; and they always keep coming even when you want to rest."

Eira thought for a moment as she stopped in the middle of folding a shirt. She knew this life was dangerous but it would never be more dangerous than she was.

"I have these abilities, Janet, and I can't run from them anymore," Eira stated. "So I'm going to use them and I'm going to help people...like you did once."

Janet sighed but she held a proud smile before coming over to hug her, "You're going to make me miss you, though."

And so she left the comfort of the only home she really knew. But she'd find one she loved just as much.

____

SHIELD had given her an apartment of her own. But they were strategic in choosing it. Her neighbor was one very patriotic man.

She was supposed to keep an eye on him but she wasn't a spy which is probably why she was so shy. He would wave at her in greeting and she would practically scurry away.

But she aimed to change that.

She knocked on his door and he opened it up. He had a surprised look on his face.

"I should wave at you in the hall because it's rude not to," she said looking guiltily up at him as she held out her hands. "So here's my apology..."

Steve looked down to see a ring of red flowers. In the middle of the ring was a star made of blue and white flowers.

               "You know who I am," he picked up the adornment gently. It wasn't often people did because he was a dead man walking according to history.

               "Well I was kind of told...by SHIELD," she scratched the back of her head.

                "You work for SHIELD?" he asked before sighing. He just wanted to be left alone.

               "They kind of put me here, too," she rambled. "But I didn't want to be. I swear."

                Steve smiled a bit, "Is that your way of telling me you didn't want to be my neighbor?"

                "What?" her eyes widened. "I didn't mean it like that."

                  "I was just teasing you," he smiled a bit wider.

                 "Oh," her face calmed in relief.

                "Come on," he opened his door wider. "I think it's about time I get to know you."