Part 14

C- Daki pulled his arm around them, bracing both of them for the fall as they plummeted down into the ravine. He hit the ground and skidded on his back, scraping up himself further along the way. Boulders cracked and tumbled down the mountainside to join them. Once they had landed at the bottom, boulders blocked off their escape, sealing them away. Daki's head thudded against a stone and he fell unconscious with his arms still wrapped around Sam protectively, lying in a growing pool of mud, rainwater, and his own blood.

H- Sam continued to cling to Daki as the world fell around them, squeezing their eyes shut and dreading the crunch of a boulder atop them both. When it never came - and only the sound of rain remained around them, did they dare to stir.

Daki's arm is heavy, unmoving, but they manage to squirm out of it to crawl over to his face.

"Daki?" They ask, worried. "Daki." They call a little louder, fear beginning to grip them.

His chest rose beneath them in a rythm. He wasn't dead, so that was good, but he was drenched in blood and the rising flood around him concerned Sam deeply.

They make a stressed noise at the back of their throat and send several prayers - and threats- to no god in particular as they pat at Daki's face. He had to move - or the rain had to stop...one or the other.

C- Daki remained unresponsive and unmoving. He was out like a light. And from the looks of his wounds, he needed it. A bullet wound tore through his abdomen, and long lacerations ran down his back where the impact with the boulders had struck him. He was a bloodied mess. It was a miracle he was even alive. Each rise and fall of his chest was slow and labored. It wouldn't be surprising if he had broken some ribs as well.

H- They make another stressed noise but settle back as they recall giants heal when asleep. It'll be fine, they tell themselves. He'll be ok. He just needs to sleep it off.

They settle back on his chest and try to ignore the increasing levels of *soggy* they didn't even know were possible. All they could do was wait for the rain to stop - and then they could try to find another way out.

C- The rain continued on for several more hours, and only began to clear up later into the night. The cold rainwater had pooled deeper around them.

It took until the next sunrise for Daki to finally awaken. Most of his injuries had begun to heal over the night, though that left him incredibly fatigued even when he began to return to his senses.

Daki let out a low groan the following morning just when the pale glow of dawn began to surface. His breaths deepened. He slowly put a hand to his face and let out a tired sigh. Every part of him hurt. And healing had sapped every last bit of energy he had, leaving him hollow and starved. He still looked like hell, but at least he was alive.

H- Sam hadn't slept. The rain soaked them to the bone until it became a deep ache they could only *hope* to alleviate by pacing Daki's unconcious body. It didn't help.

When Daki wakes, Sam is sitting curled up on his chest, one arm draped over their head and their face buried in their knees. Despite their efforts to stay warm - and Daki's own body heat, the chill breeze swept it all away, making it cold and miserable.

They raise their head at Daki's noise, curious, hopeful. "Daki?" They rasp. "Are...you going to be ok?"

C- Daki slowly opened his eyes, blearily looking down at Sam. He noticed how small and cold they appeared, and wordlessly wrapped his arms closer around Sam and his warm breath puffed over their face with an exhausted sigh.

"How long was I out? Are you okay?" He asked instead. He looked up at the high ravine walls above. There was no way he would be able to climb out in this state. Things weren't looking good.