𝟎𝟒

┌───────────────┐
Chapter 04
└───────────────┘

┌───────────────┐Chapter 04└───────────────┘

GENERAL OF THE WEST.

•••

"Oi, captain! Wake up!"

The feeling of Paimon's little hands shaking you caused you to awake quite groggily. The sun wasn't painfully glaring once you opened your eyes, which meant it was probably only beginning to rise. The first thing you did was look to your side, and you let out a sigh of relief seeing the princess sleeping there soundly.

"Captain, look!" Paimon called once again, quieter this time now that you were awake and Lumine was still asleep.

You turned towards your little companion, expecting her excitement to extend from something trivial. What you didn't anticipate, however, was for Paimon to quite literally squish a live bird between her two hands. Panic for the bird's life arose within you for a moment, until you realized the bird rested quite comfortably in the warmth of her hands.

It was cute seeing Paimon so excited over an outside creature, but you also couldn't help but gently complain, "You woke me up just to show me that you caught a bird?"

"No, not just any bird!" Paimon argued with a cute little hmph. "Look, it's a carrier pigeon!" She tilted the bird forward so that you could see its back, and that's where they laid—a small, rolled up piece of paper adjacent to a little plastic capsule with a string attached to the bird. It was like an almost weightless backpack, and you carefully plucked the letter first off of the creature.

The bird cooed quietly at the loss of the paper, and Paimon hushed it, whispering something along the lines of Princess Lumine still being asleep.

You unrolled the rather small piece of paper, only to light up at the sight of familiar handwriting. Squinting, you began to softly read out the tiny letters aloud to your companion. For starters, it opened with the writer addressing you specifically, so you quickly skipped over that line.