3 - The Visit

The two of you decided to visit her a couple of hours after school finished. You met him outside the hospital with a bouquet of flowers in hand for Tsumiki.

It felt different to see him not in school uniform; he was dressed in casual clothes, and you had to admit he had a good sense of fashion. The autumn breeze swept up leaves around him and made his hair blow in the wind.

"Hey, Fushiguro-kun," You greeted him with a wave, approaching him. You tried your best to sound cheerful.

"Hey," He replied.

"Thanks for waiting for me!"

"No problem."

"Um, should we go in, now?"

"Sure."

As you two walked up to the front doors of the hospital, you thought about the way he'd spoken. Something sounded off; usually his voice was cold and emotionless. Tonight, however, he seemed sort of nervous.

"You ok?" You asked.

He nodded.

"Are you sure? It looks like something's bothering you."

Megumi sighed. "Look, just don't tell anyone about what happened this morning."

"What, were you embarrassed I hugged you?"

"No!" He turned to look at you, his cheeks a bit pink. "It's not that!"

"So what's the matter?"

"Well... we're just classmates, and it's probably best if you– well, people might start... assuming things, if they know I broke down in front of you like that."

"Oh."

"So I wanted to apologise for this morning, and for not telling you sooner."

"Don't apologise, you shouldn't bottle things up like that. And I understand why you didn't tell me, but in future please tell me how Tsumiki is as soon as possible."

"Ok... thanks, Y/n." And for the first time, he gently smiled at you. His smile made you stare.

"Sorry, I forgot to ask if you'd prefer being called by your last name. Is that why you're giving me that look?"

"N-no, Y/n is fine..."

"We're here," He said, stopping in the corridor. He grabbed the door handle and turned it.

Tsumiki lay on a hospital bed, her hair spread out across the pillow. You froze at the doorway.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Th-those marks on her forehead..."

Megumi stared at you in disbelief. "How can you see that!? What colour is it?"

"Red... it's a curse, isn't it?"

He stared at you in wonder as you walked up to an empty vase. You took off the paper wrap holding your bouquet of flowers off. The bouquet was a bunch of white lilies.

"Why'd you pick easter lilies?" He asked.

"Didn't you know? They're her favourite flower."

"Yeah, I did. I just wasn't sure if you'd know that."

You poured some water into the vase and put the lilies inside. "We walked past a field of them once. I took a photo of her with them. I still have it in my school bag."

He smiled a bit

He smiled a bit.

You sat down on the seat beside her bed and cried for the second time that day. Megumi handed you a box of tissues. Not exactly the kind of comfort you wanted; you half-hoped you'd get a hug. You rubbed your eyes and calmed down so you could ask him, "So what cursed her?"

"A curse."

"Wow, you're being really informative here," You mumbled sarcastically.

Megumi paused for a long time, deep in thought. Then he said, "I'm going to show you something. If you can see it, you can't tell anyone else about it, ok?"

"Ok."

Megumi put his hands together in a weird way. Two dogs formed out of thin air beside him, one white and one black.

"They're so cute!" You said, grinning as you went over to pet one. He watched you as you cuddled it and the other licked your face.

He rolled his eyes and asked, "Why aren't you surprised? They appeared out of nowhere."

"Fushiguro-kun, did you make these?"

"Like I said, don't tell anyone."

"Wait... but Tsumiki told me you were moving schools."

"What about it?"

"What's the name of the school?"

"You won't know it. It's a private religious school on the outskirts of Tokyo–"

"Tokyo Jujutsu High?"

He didn't answer.

"I'll take that as a yes?" You asked.

"How do you know the name?"

"Because I'm going there too."

"What!?"

"Yep. At the end of the year."

"But that means you're training to become a Jujutsu Sorcerer."

"Yep."

"Well I wouldn't have thought you of all people would be capable of exorcising anything worse than a Fly Head."

"Oi!" You laughed, "I'm more capable than you think I am!"

"Any cursed techniques?"

"Yep."

"What is it?"

"I'd love to keep on talking, but my parents want me home soon."

You got up from your seat and gently took Tsumiki's hand. You gave it a light squeeze.

"See you later," You said to him, waving goodbye as you left the room.

"Wait! Aren't you catching the train?" He called after you.

You stopped in the corridor. "Yeah, why?"

"I'll catch it with you."

"But why? You don't live close by."

"No, but I need to make sure you get home safe. Creeps catch the train at night."

"It's only seven."

"Still..."

"I already told you, I'm a capable sorcerer."

"I don't believe you."

"Idiot–"

"So I'm coming with you."

–––––

Hi guys, thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this please leave a vote!