26 - The Trance

Megumi's fingers ran through your hair as you both anxiously waited on a wooden bench, watching the road for a black car. He played with the strands to distract himself, twirling them through his fingers.

"So you're staying here to look for the finger?" You asked.

"Mhmm," He mumbled a response, not completely paying attention as he fiddled with your hair.

"The pink-haired boy should have a yellow hoodie. He looked around the same age as us, and had brown eyes, and his hair was dyed. He was–"

Megumi put a finger to your lips, making you stop talking.

"What?" You asked.

"Can we forget about this for just a minute? Can we forget about everything?"

You thought about his question. "Sometimes, I wish we could."

"I need you to stop thinking about it all for a minute," He murmured, gently turning your head away from the road with the hand he'd been playing with your hair with. He tilted your face and pressed his lips to yours.

He kissed you softly, but with a hint of desperation; his hands refused to leave your body, and his mouth never left yours. He kissed you like it would be the last time he'd touch you, which in the back of your head, you realised could be true. With such a dangerous job, every kiss could be the last.

You reminded yourself what he'd just asked for, and pushed that thought aside, sliding your hands around his neck and through his hair. Your mouth moved in sync with his, with just as much passion. He gently bit at your bottom lip, and his hands grazed against your back.

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a black car turn the corner, and reality hit again. You were a jujutsu sorcerer. And you had to leave now.

You broke apart from his lips and stood up.

"You better be careful," Megumi said, "Tell Gojo to wake you up when you're in danger. And don't die."

"I won't," You replied, "And good luck finding the guy."

Gojo was in the passenger seat of the car in front of you, with another man who you didn't recognise in the driver's seat.

When you got in the back of the car, Gojo immediately started teasing you. "Did I just see you making out with Megumi-chan!? Ijichi-san, did you see them?"

"I wasn't paying attention," The driver said, but Gojo ignored him.

"It's about time, too! I'm so glad to see that all my hard work to get you two together has payed off!" He then added with a fake gasp, "Oops, wasn't meant to tell you that!"

"Don't worry, I already figured that out," You said, rolling your eyes with a smile.

"Hey did you know that I was the one who organised your room to be next to Megumi's?"

"Seriously, Gojo-sensei... of course, I knew it was you."

"So are you guys official yet?" He asked.

"Yeah..." You admitted shyly, your cheeks growing hot. The driver started to reverse out of the parking bay, turning out onto the road. You could see Megumi watching you leave.

"Well, I'm sure you understand dating sorcerers comes with a big responsibility," He said, his tone abruptly turning serious, "And that is to not die. Today, if you think you might die in the dream, you need to let me know so I can wake you from the trance before it happens. I assume Megumi already explained most of it to you?"

"Yes," You replied, "Except how am I supposed to let you know to wake me up if I'm unconscious?"

"I will create the trance by sending every conscious part of your brain to sleep with cursed energy, and for as long as I keep my fingers on your temples, this will keep you unconscious. 

"The only thing you can tell me to do is to wake you up, and that is by concentrating as much cursed energy as you can into your head, where my fingers are. This will counteract the cursed energy I am using and will let me know you are fighting against the trance. Do you think you can do that?"

"I think so."

"Good. I'll have you practice it before so I know you'll be able to do it if you need, but only do it when you know you need to. If you leave the trance too early, we can't do it again. It takes up all of my cursed energy."

"All of it?"

"All of it. There's a reason why you've never heard of it. It's because I'm one of the few sorcerers who are able to do it."