Episode 5: Pre-Date Drama

Remember to vote and comment. It means the world to me.
It's Saturday; a day blessed and marked by angels. By some sort of divine grace, you are not required to train on this magical day. Yet you have somehow found yourself training anyways. The explanation is pretty simple, you're so excited about your date with Zenitsu that you had to find something to do to keep your mind off of it. You're dinner reservation's in five hours, and whenever you look at the clock time seems to move at an insultingly slow pace. And whenever you think of him and you on a date together, you feel your breathing speed up and your skin tingles with anticipation. And the butterflies in your stomach are so intense you think it was a botched Breath of Insect technique.

You hold the training-katana tightly and kneel down so low your head almost touches the ground. Your legs are planted firmly, prepared to carry you away on your mark. 

"Breath of Thunder," You visualize the training-dummy, you feel the sparks flying off you and it almost throws your focus off. But don't let it. You ignore the sick, awesome looking sparks and try not to think how cool you look.

"First form. . ." You feel heat building up in your legs, you know that there will be damage done to you if you don't release the energy soon. 

"Thunderclap and flash!" You push your feet off the ground and fly forward like a blade being released from a switchblade. You hear the sound of booming thunder and you know it worked! You come to an abrupt halt, and you're surprised how quick it all happened. You look back curious to find out how much distance you had covered in the split second. In all honestly, you can't really tell where you started. You moved with speed akin to teleportation, and your sense of direction has been disoriented. You look around, trying to spot the training dummy. You're eager to see whether you hit it or not. Eventually, your eyes land on the dummy. A frown of disappointment spreads across you face. It's perfectly in tact, not a scratch on it. It's just standing there, mocking you. But wait, something's happening to the piece of cloth you just attacked!  The top of it begins to slid off slowly, and hits the ground. 

"Ya-fucking-hoo!" You exult as you throw the katana on the ground and jump up and down. But your celebration is cut short. Are we surprised? No! 

"What!?!? That's no fair! It took me five months to learn that and you just got here! What's your secret? You must be cheating, right? That's the only way!" A angry, jealous Zenitsu comes running down the hill to the training area. He's having one of his casual, vehement bursts of superlative hysteria. Fun!

"Don't trip, this time." You call up to him, paying no regard to anything he just said. 

When he finally reaches you he grabs you by your kimono (blue with white triangles) and shakes you vigorously, giving you slight whiplash. "How'd you do it? Tell meeeee!" 

"Calm down, Zenitsu!" You laugh as you gently nudge him off of you. "I mastered total concentration breathing while learning Breath of Insect. So for me, it's all about the stances. I have an advantage, that's all." You assure him while picking up your katana and gracefully sheathing it into its scabbard. 

"Don't go giving him assurance. He's weak and needs to accept it." An unfamiliar voice said, you turn around and see a man with black hair and the ugliest sideburns you've ever had the misfortune of laying your eyes on. 

"And who the fuck are you?" You retort with a confused scowl. You wanted to ask where he came from, he seemed to materialize out of thin air. But who cares. He just insulted Zenitsu, and you love Zenitsu. 

"I'm Kaigaku, the good student. The one worth something. I'm the one who's going to pass Final Selection and become a Demon Slayer. Your friend's just going to shrivel up and submit to the demons. If he's brave enough to ever go to Final Selection, that is." The guy let out a laugh. And you've officially decided that you hate this guy. 

You don't say anything yet, but you give him a look of pure hatred and disgust. 

"You might pass Final Selection, if you're lucky. But there is no way both of you will survive." He pointed (unsubtly) at Zenitsu as he spoke. "I'll give it, at most, two years until one of you has been eaten by a demon."

You stare at the man with your jaw practically hanging on the floor. You cannot believe what this scum is saying. You unsheathe your katana with clear aggression, it's delicate and decorated with butterflies from your old teacher. And you don't mind that, you're fine with butterflies. It's the spiders and moths that you hate. You aren't one to fight other peoples battles, but him attacking Zenitsu has personally offended you, and you don't seem to know (or care) why. 

"Listen here, you underdeveloped feather-duster," You snarl as you look at his hideous hair (the root of your insult). "I don't care how hard you think you can swing your stupid little sword. Because I bet your skills and character combined are worth less than a bat's shit."

"Are you challenging me?" The man barked, spit flying from his mouth. He unsheathed his Katana. It was black and yellow and glistened in the light of the sun. 

"Ye, I am." 

"Wait! [Y/N], don't do this." A worried Zenitsu interjected, a few tears streaming from his eyes. "You'll get hurt! Please, don't fight him." 

You think for a moment, and then let out a conceding sigh. "Fine. But only because it's sweet that you care." You playfully put your hand in Zenitsu's luscious, blond hair and ruffle it around. You hope Kaigaku doesn't pick up on the intimacy of the sentence. But then you remembered that you don't give a fuck about that dude. You throw Kaigaku a hateful look, and then you and Zenitsu turn around. You're about to walk away when Kaigaku protests. 

"Wait a minute. You're gonna let this good-for-nothing, crybaby chose you battles for you?"  Kaigaku yelled.

"Oh, that is it, fucker." As fast as lightning, you spin around on your heels. You clutch your hand into a fist and swing with all your might at Kaigaku. Blood flies from his nose as he's knocked backwards onto the ground; limp, cold, unconscious. 

Zenitsu thanks you, and the two of you decide you head out to your date a bit early. As you two walk away, lovingly holding each others' hands and chuckling at what just transpired, Zenitsu runs back to the unconscious body and kicks it. Then he scurries back to you.