chapter 8

Last night was quite honestly, one of the roughest nights I've had at Hogwarts in three years. Due to the disappearance, then reappearance, then revelation from the Fat Lady in the Gryffindor common room entrance, all students were forced to sleep in packs with the supervision of staff. The Fat Lady confessed that she witnessed Sirius Black patrolling about in the castle.

It was the talk amongst the Gryffindors. Supposedly, she saw him enter our common room, looking for two people and two people only— me and Harry. Anyway, Dumbledore ordered for the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs to sleep in the Great Hall and the Slytherins and Ravenclaws to sleep in the East Wing, each with professors on watch.

They even sealed up the castle last night. It was as if we were all on lockdown. I hardly got a wink of sleep last night, given that all I wanted was to storm out of the Great Hall and look for Sirius Black myself. With Harry at my side, of course. But with both Dumbledore and Snape keeping a close eye on us two in particular, I couldn't put a toe out of line.

I found it quite suspicious how all of a sudden, Snape cared about my whereabouts and safety. Perhaps he was trying to get to the bottom of a stupid theory he made up.

Feeling fatigued and worn out from a restless night, Leo and I made our way to our History of Magic lesson. If anything, this was the most boring class on my schedule. Luckily, Leo was always there to wake me up when I fell asleep.

"You know, I'd be more cautious if I were you." Leo warned as we marched through the courtyard together.

"And that is why you are here walking me to class, Dixon." We shuffled through the crowds of students between classes. "Besides, I am cautious."

"Oh, so storming about the castle and looking for the guy who wants to kill you is being cautious? You said and I quote: 'how stealthy could Sirius Black really be if he was caught?' Did those words not come out of your mouth—"

"Oh, hush up." I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "It was heat of the moment. I didn't actually mean it."

"Debatable."

I playfully nudged him with my elbow as we recalled the events of the night before. He so kindly entertained me with a story of sleeping next to Neville Longbottom. Apparently, the boy talks in his sleep. And sings tunes. Leo said he almost exploded with laughter when he saw Snape hex Neville's mouth shut for the evening. I nearly died of laughter when I found that out.

My lips curled downwards when I noticed a group of Hufflepuffs whispering to one another, looking in my direction. Like they were gossiping. "Hey!" Leo shouted across the courtyard to them. "If you want an autograph or a picture, just ask her!" He flung his arm around my shoulder in a platonic manner.

Straight away, the group of girls scattered apart and avoided any sort of eye contact with us. "That's what I thought. Stupid fan-girl behavior."

"Thanks for that," I sighed.

He sent me a reassuring grin, snickering under his breath. "It's no problem. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I were in your shoes with all these mouth breathers around this school."

"Oh, it's loads of fun—"

"Hey, Potter!" The peaceful walk Leo and I were having was suddenly disrupted by a leering voice. "Potter!"

"Oh God. Not again." I groaned as I whipped my head around and let out a prolonged exhale. "What do you want from me now, Malfoy?"

The blonde furrowed his brows at the sight of Leo's arm around my shoulder. "You two alone together again? Getting cozy, now, are you?" He teased, though it sounded like there was a tinge of jealousy in his voice.