☾ Chapter 12: The Clause ☼

Jimin

"Park Jimin."

Slowly, I turn toward the source of the voice, keeping a slated expression. The breeze blows through my hair as I stand on the sidewalk. "Yes, Dae-seong?"

He smiles, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes. "You've been Xima for a while now."

"It's not even been two years yet," I respond.

"That's true, but you are getting older and you should be more accustomed to the position," Dae-seong says. "Unless you're struggling, that is. Public opinion about you has been reserved, mostly, but there are still some... concerns."

I blink. "And those are?"

"You've yet to provide the pack with a Tima or any potential heirs."

"Well, I don't have a mate."

"You're aware that unless your mate dies after you've been mated, you are required to mate with someone, correct?"

Looking away, I swallow. "Yes, I'm aware of that. I plan to change that. Not everyone wishes to have a mate. It is unfair to force that upon anyone."

"Passing things like that doesn't help you."

"I'm aware. It does, however, help the people after."

"That doesn't change the fact that you have to be married by midnight when you turn twenty-five."

Goosebumps erupt on my skin and I nod. "You keep reciting rules I am aware of, Dae-seong. I'm still nineteen. I have quite some time. I will get married and mated on my twenty-fifth birthday."

"Do not forget the ceremony and the engagement period are lengthy, so you need to get engaged by twenty-three, plan at twenty-four, and seal the deal at twenty-five."

"Again, good thing I'm nineteen." I adjust my jacket. "Now, I really must go."

Before Dae-seong can open his mouth to speak to me, I shift into my wolf form, running to my spot at the river.

"It's been a while since I saw you," my grandmother says, petting me. "I'm guessing you don't want to be in your human form right now."

I shake my head, putting my head on my paws. "Lately, I've been having these dreams. I'm not sure what they mean, but they always go back to Jungkook. The thought of mating and everything when I'm not sure if he's okay... it's suffocating."

She smiles. "Jungkook is alive. He's still struggling to find KKota, but I know he will get there. He was here recently, did you know that?"

Confused, I face her. "When? How?"

"That rut you started and had to dance to calm yourself over, he was here. You couldn't sense him because his wolf is weak."

"He's a pup, the wolf. I saw him in my dream. I could easily fit him in my lap." My eyes fall closed. "But I'm glad Jungkook is alive. Does he still hate me?"

"That, I cannot answer. Is that all that's stressing you, Jimin?"

I shake my head. "Dae-seong stopped me on my way here. He was 'reminding' me about my mating requirement."

"Because if you don't, he becomes Xima again."

"Like I'd let that happen." I scowl. "But I also don't know who I'm going to mate. It feels like Soomin is my only chance. I'm just scared that I'm not going to fall in love with her. I tell her routinely that I'm not sure of my feelings regarding her, but she's so adamant. She says I'm her one true mate.  But can that go one way? Am I broken?"

"Everything will make sense with time. Are you sure there is no one else you could see yourself being with?"

"You know how the people in our pack treated me before I was Xima," I say brokenly. "I may have forgiven them, but I haven't forgotten. People who are older merely pitied me, thinking I'd lose, but those my age... they ridiculed me, telling me there was something wrong with me when I'd faint. Nobody believed I was an alpha when I first presented, so people would mess with me, using their alpha voices on me to try and prove something. With time, it only faded into me being completely alone, having no one but other members of the Park family. The pack didn't respect us. But I was used to it... Maybe I should've let Jungkook win."

"Jimin, shift for me."

With an exhale, I do so, leaning into her.

She kisses my temple. "You did the right thing. Jungkook's KKota has been all out of balance and his family life was not good. He would have hated you more if he found out that you let him win."

I scoff. "Like I'm not used to people hating me."

"His wolf doesn't."

Frowning, I play with my gloved fingers. "That must be torture, for your human and wolf halves to have such differing feelings. I pray for his clarity," I look up at the moon, "and for his safety when he is weakest, at night."

I focus on my prayer to the moon god, asking for Jungkook's wolf to grow stronger. The wind howls around me, but I ignore it, maintaining focus. I hope he still has the necklace, but my grandmother said he won't lose it and I trust her.

"So, are you really going to mate Soomin?"

Sighing, I open my eyes. "I'll converse with her about it. She seems to really want it. But I can't help but feel Jungkook will kill me before then, so really, there isn't much to worry about. I'll talk with her and if she agrees, she agrees. If not, I hope I can find someone I actually feel a pull toward."

"What makes you think Jungkook will kill you before then?"

"He told me," I explain, "in my dream. He told me to not even bother mating because he's coming for me to enact his revenge. He's going to kill me. If he comes to do that, I'll let him, but not without a fight. I know he'll want a proper fight to the death. So he'll get that. I just hope he isn't too late, because I'd hate to leave Soomin with a broken bond."

She chuckles. "Don't worry about that, Jimin. His timing will be impeccable, I can tell you that."

Author's Note: More drama! What do you think this means? Will Soomin say yes? What will JK do?

What do you think of the story so far?

Make sure to take care and love yourself as best as you can.

With lots of love,

-BBM