four

Mirabel opens her eyes.

In front of her stands a boy who looks to be a teenager. He gives her a confused look.

"Can I help you?" He asks a little louder this time. He awkwardly shuffles by the door and gives a little smile to Sofia, who shyly stands behind her mother.

"Antonio?" Mirabel whispers unbelievably. He looks around and shrugs.

"Yes, I am. Do you need help with something? Or do you need to talk to someone in my family?" Antonio asks once more.

"I um," Mirabel trips over her words in a state of shock at the boy whom she last saw with a baby face, "never mind. I forgot what I was going to say. Come on Sofi." Mirabel tugs on her daughter arm gently, but the girl does not move from her stance.

She stares at the boy and it clicks. The story from her mother. She moves past her shyness and walks in front of Mirabel. She sticks out her hand and smiles proudly.

"Hola, I'm Sofia. And you are Antonio," Sofia says.

The boy chuckles and shakes the charming little girl's hand, "yes I suppose I am. It's nice to meet you Sofia."

"My Mamá is too nervous to tell you, but her name is Mirabel. Her real adult name. But I call her Mamá," Sofia explains. Mirabel just stares at the two wide eyed. She nervously draws her hands to her chest.

Antonio stands up. His eyes flicker to the woman standing a couple feet far from him. His mouth drops open a little, but no words come out.

"Hola, Toñito." Mirabel says with an awkward, short laugh and a shrug.

Antonio stares at her for a second longer before immediately running to her. He wraps her in a tight hug. Sofia watches from the side with her hands under her chin. She bounces on her toes.

"Mira," he whispers, "you're here."

Mirabel freezes in hold, but eventually she reciprocates it. Her shoulders drop as Antonio holds her close.

"Aye Antonio, who's at the door?"

Antonio smiles big. He finally releases his arms and steps back. He wraps his forearms around Mirabel's arm.

"Mami, look," he says, nodding his head at Mirabel. She stands there with a little smile.

"Oh," an older looking Tía Pepa gasps.

Mirabel reaches up and takes off her hat. She holds in against her body.

"Do I look different?" Mirabel jokes softly.

At a loss for words, Pepa approaches them slowly. She gently touches Mirabel's shoulder before jumping in to hug her. Mirabel softens more in the second embrace.

"Hola tía Pepa."

Pepa pulls from the hug to look down. A bright eyed little girl looks up at her. She holds her hand a second time. Pepa looks to Mirabel and  then back to the little girl.

Pepa shakes her hand, "and who might you be?"

"I'm Sofia. Mamá says I'm her mariposita," Sofia says proudly. She walks up to Mirabel and holds up her arms. Her mother picks up and kisses her forehead.

Pepa looks between the two girls in even greater shock.

"You mean? She's your? You have a daughter?" Pepa finally says.

"A cheeky one at that," Mirabel chuckles.

"Mirabel..she looks just like you," Pepa says. She hugs them both and sighs. She looks back at Mirabel and gently touches her cheek.