eight

Mirabel trails after her sister. Isabel shouts for her cousins and their sister.

The younger of two follows slowly. She pauses by an open door. She peers in quietly. Tío Bruno is sitting in with Abuela. They're talking rather quietly and Mirabel stays long enough for Bruno to catch her watchful eye. He nods and smiles. Mirabel widens her eyes and runs up to catch up with Isabela.

Isabela knocks on Camilo's door and pushes it open. Camilo looks up in shock. He hurriedly grabs for a paper on the bed in front of him and falls off the bed. Mirabel laughs. At least her primo hadn't changed in the slightest.

"What were you doing?" Isabela interrogates. He shoves the loose paper into his shirt and stumbles to his feet. He puts his hands awkwardly on his hips and makes a face.

"Nothing. What are you doing?" He asks. Isabela rolls her eyes.

"Okay well Mira and I want to play a little football if you're up to it," Isabela says. Mirabel frowns.

"We do?" Mirabel asks. Isabela nods.

"We do."

"You're kind of old though. You have like three kids what if I accidentally break your hip kicking the ball or something," Camilo says in a teasing manner.

Isabela scoffs. She grabs his shirt and gives him a look.

"I'm not old. And we're definitely playing now, primo. In the back. Find Dolores and Mira and I are going to get Luisa. It's going to be just like when we were kids. Except this time Lusia doesn't have the advantage," Isabela says. She flips her hair and drags her sister out.

"Are we really playing? We haven't played a game like that since we were kids. Is this a good idea?" Mirabel asks.

"Completely a good idea. You all act as if we're  Mamá and papí's age. Have some fun Mira. We're all kid-less for a couple hours. And if I remember correctly we lost last time. So come on, it'll be fun."

Mirabel gives in. They finally find Luisa in her room. They force her to come out and they all head downstairs. They get outside where Dolores and Camilo are patiently waiting. Camilo is kicking around a ball.

"Are we doing teams like when we were little?" Dolores asks.

"I think so. Mirabel and Dolores you're a team, and Camilo and I are a team and Luisa switches," Isabela decides.

"Just get Toñito out here to even out the teams," Dolores suggests, "he wasn't even born when we played. Come on, let him play. He should get action in our cousin football games."

"Camilo go get your brother," Isabela says.

Camilo frowns at his orders, but wanders back into the house. They laugh when they hear him shout his brother's name.

"He's still fifteen in his head," Mirabel shakes her head.

"You're telling me.." Dolores sighs.

He returns with Antonio who is very confused. Mirabel kicks the ball at him and catches it. He looks down at it and raises his eyebrow up.

"You're playing football with us. That's what Isa dragged us out for. You get to join in. What team is he on?"

"I think we should switch up the teams actually," Luisa suggests. Dolores nods in agreement.

"Cousins against cousins?" Mirabel asks.

"You're on!" Camilo shouts.

The rest of them agree. They made shabby goals out of rocks and line up on their respective sides. Their childish and competitive spirits begin to rise pretty quickly. Isabela leans over to her sisters and whispers a plan. The other three stare at the ball with no plan but to cause absolute chaos.