ten

Im sorry I disappeared for like three weeks . This one is 4,000 words. Hopefully that makes up for it.

Ever since I got out of quarantine I've been working or at school. I also have been reading a lot more, which has been nice. Like actual books, not just fanfiction.

I just finished Mosquitoland. So bittersweet and funny. And then I read the Seven husbands of Evelyn hugo and OH MY GOD was that good. Gay as hell, good as hell, and made me cry. Now I'm reading last night at the telegraph club which has been fantastic so far! wlw literature is beautiful.

Anyways, here's 10!

-

Mirabel spends a long time reconnecting with her family in ways she hasn't been able to before. They welcome her conversations and worries with arms wide open. It's unfamiliar, but nice.

Mirabel hands Sofia a dish to dry. Sofia talks about her latest adventure in town and meeting more children her age. One little girl she even considers her friend now. Mirabel nods and hums to appear completely focused on her daughter's conversation, but she can't help but let the anxieties rip through her mind.

Some of the townspeople were met with a little bit of unfamiliarity with the new little girl, asking Pepa or Julieta about who's child she is. The two chalked her to being one the elderly's granddaughter who is visiting from out of Encanto. While it was rare to have consistent visitors from the outside, it wasn't unheard of. So with a shrug the explanation wasn't explored much more.

But Sofia was beginning to grow impatient about her Mamá reentering the town. Sofia understands little about why Mirabel became so drawn back from her family, even going to lengths to run away completely. As far as she knows Mirabel just wanted a little bit of adventure and a break from her family.

The magic of the past, and the details of a previously torn family was hidden by cut offs in conversation and comfortable lies that were easier to tell. Somewhere in Mirabel's brain, she was still letting herself believe in some guilt and blame for her family. Even walking around the house it became increasingly sad for her to be unable to communicate with it like she had before. She misses Casita more than anything.

And Mirabel knew going out with Sofia formally introduced as her daughter she'd be met with a long list of questions, many of them uncomfortable.

When did you have her?

Who is her father?

Where did you go?

Why didn't you come back home?

It was obvious enough to the family that Mirabel didn't want to discuss the relationship with Sofia's father. He made his decision to leave, and they both felt the emptiness in that. So they didn't. They ignored that piece of the conversation. And it's not like it mattered much to them. Mirabel is home with an adorable, sweetie of a little girl. Married or not..that didn't hold a big place of concern.

But towns gossip whether you like it or not. Mirabel knows what it's like to be gossiped about. She had known since she was five years old and she feared it happening to her daughter too..even if it is for a different reason.

Mirabel helps Sofia down from the counter. She helps her dry her hands at the sink. "Why don't you go find your cousins. I think Abuela might take you out today, do you want to go?"

"Yes! But you should come with us Mamá!" Sofia smiles.

Mirabel kisses her head. "I will. Maybe not today. But I will. Go on and find them, okay? I love you Sofi."

Sofia sighs, but she quickly hugs her mother's legs and runs off. She nearly bumps into Isabela as she runs out. Sofia blurts out a quick apology as she disappears up the stairs and out of sight from the two adults.