six

Morning comes quick. Mirabel thinks the traveling did her and Sofia in. And the excitement of the last 12 hours.

She stretches and looks over at the empty spot next to her. She finds Sofia sitting on the floor in her night gown. She gently bouncing her stuffed bear on her knees and whispering things to him. Mirabel smiles fondly at the sight. It reminds her what she's doing all of this for.

She crawls out of bed and lowers herself into a seated position next to her daughter. She winced at the cold floor but cuddles up to the girl.

"Good morning mamita," she says. Mirabel's strokes her face in a motherly fashion.

"Morning Mamá," Sofia says. She sets her toy on the bed and crawls into her mothers lap. She leans her head against the woman's chest.

"Someone's snuggly this morning," Mirabel jokes. Sofia nods and reaches up to fiddle with Mirabel's hair. Mirabel strokes her head.

"What's wrong Sofi?" She asks. The little girl shrugs.

"I'm nervous," Sofia whispers.

"About what?"

"I like family, but there's so many," Sofia sighs.

Mirabel nods in understanding. She had grown up with these people, and sometimes she forgot Sofia didn't know this kind of family. Since the day was born it was always just Mirabel and Sofia. They were all each other had and they never needed anyone else. But no here they were, surrounded by many people who wanted them to be around and it was extremely foreign to Sofia. Even a little bit to herself, Mirabel silently admitted.

"I understand, but these people are so excited to get to know you. It's okay to be overwhelmed. We'll take it easy, okay?" Mirabel says. Sofia nods, but doesn't say anything in return.

Mirabel plays with her curls and kisses her forehead, "do you think you're going to miss it just being you and Mamá?"

"Yeah," Sofia whispers. Mirabel gives her a comforting look. She could understand that. A lot of things were changing, and for a five year old she could imagine that was very overwhelming.

"I promise I will make time for you, always. You're my little girl. I love you more than anything. Mariposita, you're so special. I will always make you the most important person in my life, can you trust me to do that?" Mirabel says. She holds out her pinky.

Sofia looks at her eyes and to her pinky. She links her small finger around her mothers. She kisses her hand and Mirabel doesn't the same.

"Yes Mamá," she agrees.

Mirabel squeezes her tight, causing the girl to giggle and playfully push out of her grasp.

"I just love you so much!" Mirabel says. She peppers her face with kisses.

Sofia stands up and does to the same. Mirabel laughs at her daughters adorable revenge. They both giggle until they hear a knock on the door. Sofia wraps her arms around her neck and looks over as someone peeks in and pushes the door opens couple feet.

"Sorry, I just wanted to tell you that breakfast is almost done. That is if you want to eat with us,"  Camilo says. He nervously pulls at his sleeve.

"Of course we do. We'll be done in a few, thanks Camilo," Mirabel says. He nods and quietly shuts the door.

Mirabel lifts Sofia off and she stands with her.

"Come on amor, let's get dressed and ready for the day."

With the help of her mama, Sofia gets ready and then patiently sits on the bed. She fiddles with her toy as Mirabel finishes getting dressed.

When they're both ready, Mirabel holds out her hand the two exit the room together. Sofia wake close to her mom as they enter the dining room. Mirabel puts on a brave smile for the sake of her daughter. Sofia clings to her dress.