28

Elijah, Esther and Mikael were waiting in the visitor's lounge when Caroline, Davina and Elena arrived. Seeing the brunette enter the room, Elijah stood up and locked eyes with her. Elena ran up to him and pulled him into a tight embrace.

"I'm so sorry!" she whispered in his ear.
Elijah held onto her. "Thank you."

"What did the doctors say?!" Caroline wanted to know. She was visibly worried and almost panicking.
Mikael glanced over to her. "Who are you?!"
"Caroline Forbes. Klaus' girlfriend." she answered, realizing she was standing befote her boyfriend's stepfather. After everything Klaus had told her about Mikael, she was now wary, but still kept her composure.

Mikael examined her with his eyes for a moment, but refrained from saying anything. It was Esther who finally chose to speak up. "Hello Caroline. I'm afraid the doctors haven't said anything yet. Why don't you take a seat for now?! I'm sure we will soon be informed about Niklaus."

Ignored by Mikael, Esther and Caroline sat down. Davina joined them. However, before they could start talking, Kol came back. The steaming cups of coffee he was holding told the newcomers that he'd just been to the cafeteria. He immediately went to his girlfriend and handed her one of the two cups.

"Hey D. So glad you're here." he greeted her.

Davina took the coffee and grabbed her boyfriend's hand. "Thanks Kol. Do you know what happened with Klaus?"

"Yeah, kinda. Apparently, a dog ran in front of his car and when he swerved, he accidentally drove against a street lamp." Kol answered.

Everyone took a moment to take in the news, with the exception of Esther and Mikael who had already known about it. Elijah, still keeping an arm around Elena, let out a sigh. Caroline nodded and a few tears escaped her eyes. "Yeah. That sounds like him. Klaus would totally bring himself in danger to save a dog."

A doctor approached them. Elena recognized her as her collegue, Dr Genevieve Dubois. "Mr and Mrs Mikaelson? I have news concerning your son." Everyone looked at her expectantly.

"He has taken serious damage to one of his kidneys as well as his left arm

"He has taken serious damage to one of his kidneys as well as his left arm. We managed to stabilze him for now, but he's going to need surgery. And, I'm afraid, there is one difficulty." Dr Dubois took a deep breath and gave the Mikalesons an apologetic look. "Yesterday, there was a train crash. Many of the victims needed surgeries and it used up the majority of our blood supply. What we still have may not be enough for Niklaus' surgery. The good news is, his current state gives us some time, so we could still change that. What he needs is a suitable blood donor. Does anyone from his family have the same blood type as Nikaus? And if so, would you be willing to donate?"

"Yes, of course!" Elijah immediately agreed. "I would be happy to provide as much blood as needed. Although I'm afraid I don't know my blood type."

Kol and Esther agreed too, Kol being the only one knowing his blood type. Dr Dubois nodded, relieved. "That's good! Please follow me then, we'll test you to see if you'd be a suitable donor."

Mikael cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Listen, Dr Dubois. Your patient is not biologically related to me and frankly, he and I don't understand each other. But nevertheless, for the last thirty-two years, he has been a part of my family. I consider it my duty to offer a donation for him as well. I am aware that I'm probably not a suitable donor, but I still want you to test me."

Genevieve nodded. She led the Mikaelsons out of the room for their tests. Esther, walking next to her husband, took Mikael's hand and squeezed it.
"Thank you for doing this." she whispered to him.
Mikael, who was not a man of big emotional gestures, simply nodded and squeezed Esther's hand too.

***

About an hour later, Elena brought some sandwiches she bought in the Café nearby to the waiting group of people. Everyone accepted the food gratefully.

Elijah pulled his girlfriend aside. "Thank you so much for being here, Elena. I want you to know how much this means to me."

"I am glad I'm here, Elijah." she answered her boyfriend squeezing his hand, "And I thought, maybe I can have a word with Genevieve. We are, after all, collegues. Perhaps I can see how the tests are going."

"That would be great, thank you. Although, is Dr Dubois really the one doing the tests as well?" Elijah asked, a tad confused.

Elena grimaced. "No, she's not. Dr Frankenstein is."

"Dr what?"

Elena sighed and gave him a half smile. "Not his real name, of course, but everyone calls him that. His real name is Malachai Parker. He's the twin brother of Dr Jo Loughlin, the one you met when you first came here for me, remember?"

Elijah nodded. "Yes, I do. Although Dr Loughlin striked me as a perfectly sensible woman. I therefore gather her twin is rather different than her?!"

"He is. Creepiest guy I've ever met. Loves deseases more than anything."

Elijah raised his eyebrows. "That does sound rather strange."

"Yeah. But the good news are, he will have the test results soon. I'll go talk to Genevieve. Be right back." Elena said and kissed her boyfriend on the lips before leaving.

A tall man in his sixties entered the waiting room. He shortly glanced over at the Mikaelsons and for a moment, it seemed as if he wanted to join them. But then he noticed Mikael's deadly glare that would have burnt a hole in his head if that had been possible, and decided to sit on the other end of the room.

"What is he doing here?" Mikael asked his wife through clenched teeth.

Esther gulped nervously. "Mikael, please don't make a scene, honey. Niklaus is his son. I told him what happened so he came to offer his help as well. Remember, we might need his support in this."

"He'd better not come any closer." he scowled.

***

One hour later, Kol and Davina went out for a moment to get some more coffee. Given the situation, they both needed it.

"I'm sure he'll make it." Davina tried to comfort her boyfriend.

He gave her a weak smile. "Thanks for saying that, darling. I really hope he will. Even though he's an arse."

"Aww, your brotherly love is so touching." Davina said in a teasing manner, earning a hesitant grin from her boyfriend.

Kol took her hand. "Well, whatever happens, darling, I'm glad to have you here with me."

***

Hospital Laboratory

"The results are out." Genevieve said, "Would you like to give them the good news or should I?"

Elena took the chart her collegue was offering her and read through the results. What she saw told her a lot more than it told Dr Genevieve Dubois.

She looked up at the red-haired doctor and said: "I'd like to tell them about this myself

She looked up at the red-haired doctor and said: "I'd like to tell them about this myself. It seems the Mikaelsons are in for a big surprise. This kind of surprise should better be delivered by someone familiar."