7

It was almost exactly 8pm when Elijah rang the doorbell to Elena's apartment. She opened and gave him a little grin. "Not a minute late! Impressive."
Elijah observed her. Now that he spent more time with Elena, he noticed more differences between her and her twin. The way she grinned at him right now, for example. Katerina never grinned like that, he knew that for sure. And he thought, 'what a shame for her, because that grin is so cute!'.

Elena now led Elijah into her small but cosy living room and asked him to have a seat on the couch. She herself took a seat next to him and opened a bottle of whiskey.

"Quite a strong drink. Are you sure it is appropriate for the occasion?" he asked.

"I don't talk about this stuff often. It's not easy for me, especially not with a stranger. Plus, I had a long day." she turned her head to look at him. "Do you want some too?"

"Yes please."

She smirked good-naturedly.

After a few sips, he started asking her about what he wanted to know.
"So tell me, why did Katerina lie to me about being an orphan? And how come she has a different last name than you?"

Elena considered for a moment before she replied.

Finally she said: "I think it would be better if I start from the beginning

My sister and I were born on the 22nd of June in 1989. Our parents -" Elijah interrupted her. "Hang on! That means, you two are now 28 years old."

Elena looked at him confused. "Yes, we are." she carefully replied.

Elijah exhaled slowly and took another long sip of his whiskey. "Another lie of hers, then. She said she was 24." he explained, seeing Elena's still confused expression. Upon hearing that, Elena just slightly rolled her eyes. Not wanting to admit that she would turn 30 in less than two years sounded like a typical Katherine thing.

But Elijah realized what he must have sounded like, so he quickly added: "Do not misunderstand me, please! I don't care how old she is, I just wish she hadn't lied to me so much."
Elena nodded.

"Anyway," she continued. "Our parents are John Gilbert and Isobel Flemming-Gilbert. Dad is always serious and strict. He never let us get away with anything when we were kids. I know he just wants what's best for us and I respect that, but Kat doesn't get along with him that well. And Mom... she works for a law firm. In her position, she basically searches through contracts for loopholes that some greedy clients of hers can use for their advantage, sometimes she creates them. With her, it is like- the other way around. She and I don't really understand each other and we're sometimes having a hard time getting along. But Kat and Mom are like best friends."

"So, they are equally ruthless?"

"Pretty much, yeah. Or, at least, I often think so." she said, feeling somewhat guilty for speaking about her mother and sister like that.