30

St Claire's hospital

A light on the other end of his eyelids was the first thing he noticed. Conciousness started working itself through his brain like water through an old, rusty mill. Very slowly, his system picked up its work again and began to wake him up. His eyelids fluttered.

"Klaus?"

He knew that voice. It belonged to a beautiful blonde woman with light blue eyes and a stubborn attitude. Caroline. His lips twitched, trying to form a smile, but not quite ready yet. His eyes, however, finally opened and looked at her.

Caroline let out a sigh of relief. "Thank god, I already thought you were never going to wake up. Hey. Can you hear me, honey? It's me."

He tentatively tried to form words, carefully testing his ability to move his tongue and lips. Finding his abilities to be intact, he smirked.

"Of course. You know I wouldn't leave you hanging, love."

***

Three hours later

"You gave us all a scare, Nik. Don't you ever do that again!" Rebekah fondly scolded her brother. Her words didn't sound angry and were even more softened by the beaming smile on her face and her hands tenderly holding one of her big brother's hand in them.

Klaus smirked. "Well, lucky you, I wasn't planning on involving car crashes in my regular schedule."

"Sure, great." Kol replied, "Although something really good came from this whole thing."

Elijah gave his brother a look of gladness. "Indeed it did. Maybe now, father and you will finally start to grow closer."

"Huh?" Kol looked at his brother in confusion for a moment, then sighed, "Oh, that. No, I meant his car. The crash left it completely irreparable, which means my poor eyes are finally rid of that ugly old thing."

Finn and Rebekah chuckled, Elijah rolled his eyes. Klaus first snorted in amusement. But then, he realized his brother wasn't kidding.

"Hang on, what!?" his voice was alarmed, "You mean my beautiful Chevrolet from 1996 is ruined?"

Kol nodded ceremoniously. "And good riddance!"

"Bloody hell! No! Dammit!" Klaus slammed his fist down onto the mattress.

Rebekah huffed. "Honestly, Nik, who cares? We almost lost you. All that matters is that you will be fine again."

"Our sister is right." Elijah laid a hand on Rebekah's shoulder and gave his brother a look of reassurance. "Cars can be replaced. There are many. But there's only one brother called Niklaus in this family."

"Yes, yes, alright

"Yes, yes, alright." Klaus grudgingly agreed, "But next time I see a bloody dog in my way, I swear to god, I'll roll him over with no mercy!"

***