Rivals

Two weeks had passed since Boruto and I had our falling out. He's been avoiding me ever since and when we cross paths he avoids eye contact. What a jackass he is.

It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep. I replay our conversation in the tent over and over again trying to figure out what went wrong. Then my mind goes back to the fight. I can't do this I need to get out of the house.

I end up on the training grounds and I look around to see if anyone is near. Seems like no one is.
I take my coat off and I face a 4 pillars with targets on them. I throw my shuriken and they all hit the bullseye of the target.
"What are you doing out here so late?"
I turn around and see my mom with her arm on her hip.
"I couldn't sleep" I said looking at the ground.
She slowly walks towards me and asks me in a soft voice: "Is it about Boruto?"
I didn't say a word.
"You two fight all the time I'm sure you both will get over it soon."
"No mom. It's different this time." I said in a sad voice.
"Different? Different how?"
"That fight ended our friendship. Sumire gave him an ultimatum. Her or Me. And guess who he chose.."
She walked towards me and pulled me in for a hug.
A tear rolled down my cheek as I wrapped mine around her.
"Are you sure he ended a friendship? Or did he end any possibility of you two ever becoming more?"
I pulled my head away from her shoulder and met her eyes. She knew what my eyes were asking her.
"Sweetheart I'm your mom. I know you more than anyone. I knew you loved him even when you didn't."
"Did I make it obvious?"
She chuckled and stroked my hair. "You were always talking about him. You always spoke about how much of an idiot he was and you always complained about him. It was as if you were trying to convince yourself you hated him. But your eyes always betrayed you."
I broke our hug and wiped away my tears. All of my regrets started flooding in.
"Was I too late? Was it a mistake to go away with papa for a few years? If I had stayed would I be with Boruto right now?"
I blamed myself. I hated myself for not realizing it sooner. How could I be so selfish?
My mom put her hand on my shoulder.
"You can't change the past. What's done is done. Don't focus on it or you'll miss out on the present."
I nodded my head in agreement. She gave me a smile and said "You will have your chance to tell Boruto how you feel. I'm sure he'll realize what a fool he's been and mend things with you. In the meantime, you're the daughter of some of the strongest shinobis. You're my daughter. Anyone would be damn lucky to be with you!"

Ever since that night I've been trying to look at the brighter side.
I got called into the Hokage's office for a B rank mission.
"Oh good Sarada's here" Said Lord Hokage
"Alright Boruto, Sumire, and Sarada, your mission is to protect this village from shinobi. The enemies have been trying to steal the village's data books. Thats all I know, speak to the chief for more details. Shikamaru will provide you the map. You are to leave at noon." He grabbed the papers scattered around his desk and tapped them on his desk to make them into a neat pile.
"And who is the captain dad?"
I looked at Boruto from the corner of my eye as he asked his question. I then glanced at Sumire, who was in the middle of us, and saw her grin as if she were waiting for her name to be called.
"Sarada will be in charge of this team."
My eyes beamed at Lord Hokage and gave a small smile.
"Do your best" he said.
I didn't need to look at Sumire to see her reaction. I could feel it. I turned my head to see Boruto's reaction, butI didn't get one. His facial expression was so nonchalant. His eyes met mine and then walked out of the office.
"Sarada" Mr Shikamaru called as he handed me the map.
"Thank you"
As I walked out the door my dad walked in.
"Oh Sarada, Sakura left your lunch in the kitchen for your mission."
"Okay, I'll be sure to leave a thank you note." I smiled at him. He smiled back and patted my shoulder.
"Good luck"

I was the first to arrive at the gates. I made sure to arrive early to keep up appearances. I tried not to focus on how much of a drag this entire mission is going to be. To be on a mission with Boruto & Sumire.
6 Minutes go by and Boruto and Sumire walk towards the gates...holding hands.
As soon as they were within 7 feet of me I walked ahead. If I kept this distance I wouldn't have to worry. I wouldn't break.