ch.16 past lessens

I listened to the crunching of sand under our feet as we followed Morro. He was silent, listening and only used motions to direct where we were heading. I felt the blade I was given delicately, watching the metal shine in the light as my father cleaned his glaive. The handles of our spear-like weapons were carved delicately for the rightful rulers of ninjago with the short sword like blade at its tip, made out of the strongest metals. Our royal code names carved into the blade. As of right now I go by Harami. Close to my actual name, however I didnt chose it because of that. I chose it because it means sinner. This blade is going to cut down all the sinners I will cut with this blade until justice is served. My father went with Bardick because it means wise leader in which he truly is. He may have been blinded by Hutchins and my mothers lies but you can't blame him for that. They had been friends for years and the betrayed was so unseen in my fathers mind at this point. Now he's trying to be the true, wise leader he wants to be. Something I learned when I was five.

It was dark, cold and I was scared. I clung to my blanket as if it was the only thing I had for comfort as I crawled off the bed, making my way down the dark qordoors of the castle. I made it to the door I was looking for and raised my fist to knock on the door when I heard small sounds from the room behind it. I pulled my hand away shocked at what I was hearing. Muffled cried came from the room. I slowly reached for the handle that was above my head and opened the door slowly. Father sat at the end of the bed. It was dark here too, cold. Instead of the place I originally thought would be my safe haven, it was a place filled with sorrow. "Daddy? Why are you crying?" My father seemed to pause and look up at me before getting up and giving me a hug. He picked me up, sitting back on the bed with me on his lap. "What are you doing here sunflower? Your supposed to be in bed." He brushed his hand through my hair. "It was dark, i was scared..." tears were in my eyes from having to think of the dark, scary room. "But why was daddy crying? You are never upset daddy." He paused and looked back down at what he was holding when I came in. The photo had a woman, holding a baby and a man with a boy almost looking just like him infront of him. My fathers face was unreadable. "Who are they daddy?" I motioned to the photo. I saw a small smirk appear on his face, through even I could tell he was not happy. "They were friends of mine sunflower. I wish you could have met them, a wonderful faimly they were." I looked at the image closer, the family looked happy, and wasint in a very populated area. "What happened to them?" My father froze, I saw the tears swell in his eyes again. "They are no longer here darling." He ran his hand through my hair once more. "What about their children? Are they gone too daddy?" My father looked at me with a sparkle in his eyes. "No, I want to help them... but your mother won't allow me too." His sparkle faded back to his dull eyes. "Why do you listen to mommy? I dont like mommy. She's mean." He let out a small chuckle. "Because I have to. For now anyway darling. Just deal with her for a while longer. Things will get better. Now, how about you sleep with me tonight. So the cold darkness don't get you." He tickled me, causing me to laugh. I looked up at my father with a grin. "Your the best daddy." He looked down into my eyes with his comforting ones. "I try to be."

That night was one of the most impactful nights of my life. I didnt fully understand what my father was telling me until later on in life but even then I felt bad. Now I know who those people where and why they were so important to him. I found out when I was 10.

I went to the library in the castle, trying to find a book about the serpentine war for my school project. I was looking through the history section when my father walked in, noticing me. "Hey darling, what are you doing up there?" I slid down the latter and gave him a hug before looking back at the books. "Trying to find a few books about the serpentine War for my school project." I pulled one out and shook my head, putting it back. "What part of the serpentine war are you working on?" He walked over to the books helping me look. "I was given the task to do research on the elemental masters of fire and water. Everyone got either an elemental or serpentine tribe to do reasurch on." I glared at another book about the war that didn't have anything I needed. My father paused and looked at me. "You won't need a book for that then darling." He motioned over to the couch. "Take a seat. I can tell you all about them." I looked at him confused but did as he said, grabbing a notebook. My fathers eyes were filled with wonder and passion when he spoke. "I was close friends with the fire and water elementals, their names were Ray and Maya. Parents of two brave young children." I looked at him in awe, unaware of how to respond as he appeared to be full of inclination as he talked about the two elements. "They were the best blacksmiths in all of ninjago during the serpentine war. They had forged over seven thousand swords in just six months. They're talent was breathtaking. Watching them work was none less. They fought together, worked together and learned together. They were never appart as they balanced each other out perfectly. If Ray's fire got out of hand Maya could put him out. If Maya powers got out of hand Ray's heat would evaporate the water." He had gotten up now and was motioning to two stained glass windows my father had put in a few years ago. "Those stain glass windows are a reminder of them. I had them made out of apreshation and admiration." I nodded as I looked at the two people in the windows. "What happened to them?" My fathers gaze softened. "You asked me the same thing when you were five. They disappeared one day, no clues of what happened to them. Their children still run the shop. Ray's sons still trying to live up to his fathers name. Take this as a lesson darling. You can never live up to another person's name, you can only live up to your own. I'm sure you will do great on the project. All the informative you need about the fire and water elemental is in my room. On the small bookshelf next to my bed. Feel free to study them."

A lot of background for harumi and how the father is the way he is today.

1. How do you think he met ray and Maya?

2. How old do you think Harumi is? I never actually told you guys.

3. Where do you think they are heading?

4. Why is Morro so focused?