ch.17 "questioning"

I silently sauntered down the palace corridor dreading my destination. A guard had come to me, ordering me to Hutchins office. As he put it "king Hutchins wants to see you and question you on what happens during the king and princesses' death." I'm assuming that he said it specifically like that to cover up everything and not be suspicious in front of the others who had been close by me. I looked up at the towering door in front of me. The gold trim and ancient Japanese writing lacing it with magnificent looking features to hide the true meaning of the king's role in Ninjago. I feel bad for the old king, his entire job was to keep the peace and prosperity of an entire empire stable. It must have been extremely hard to keep balance with other kingdoms so no wars would break out, and keeping peace with the elemental masters during wars must have been difficult as well. I sighed as I grabbed the cold door handle, opening it and taking a step inside. Hutchins sat at the desk, looking over paperwork. He noticed my presence and motioned for me to sit down in the chair across from him. I closed the door and walked over dreadingly, doing as he wanted me to do. "Do you know why I asked you to come here today Jay?" He questioned me. I shook my head in response. "I was told it's for questioning but I doubt that is what I'm truly here for. What do you want from me?" I asked him. A smirk appeared on his face as he started to examine a blade he had pulled out while I was sitting down. "Smart one you are, you right. I didn't call you here to question you. I called you here because I knew you had questions for me. Possibly concerning your two friends who won't be coming home anytime soon." He taunted as he pointed the knife he was examining at me. "Your right. I do. But I have other questions I want to know first." I stated. His grin got wider as he stood up from his chair and walked over to the window looking over the city beside me. "Do ask them." He replied. I contemplated asking the questions for a moment before deciding I already dug myself a hole. 'Why do all this? Why did you want this position so badly and what did my friends have to do with that? From what I understand this position is nothing but a burden on yourself." He looked out the window with a chuckle. "Oh, you don't understand. Being king is more than just the burden of making sure an entire empire doesn't fall. This entire city in front of us, this city is mine, the deserts surrounding it, the snowy mountains, the monastery you live in. I own all of it. The people living on this land look up to me, do as I command. I don't just have a burden, I have an entire army. Millions of men would go to destroy a kingdom just with one order. I have the power to annihilate whole kingdoms in just a day. I have the power to wipe citizens who don't obey my orders from existence." He turned and looked me in the eye. "You want to know why I took your friends away? I did it because I despise your elementals. Your powers are inhuman and have caused nothing but harm to citizens below you. My wife and child died because of the earth and fire elements and I refuse to let that happen to anyone else." He glared at me. "If you hate us so much, why did you let me go free? Why didn't you kill me on the spot? Why didn't you kill kai, cole, or the others on the spot?" I questioned. His glare softened and he smiled. "Your friends are suffering for their actions. They may not be dead yet, but they will be. As for why I spared you... It's because you're different from all the others." He said sweetly as he slowly approached me. I wanted to back away but I couldn't. "According to any record, your element has not killed a single innocent civilian, which was astonishing to me. At first, I thought the files were wrong and I tried to find a mistake but, I couldn't find any." He continued. He was now right in front of me and started circling my chair. "You fascinate me, your power, your heritage,  you in general. You were right, neither of us is here for questioning. I called you here, to make an offer." He said stopping in front of me. I looked up at him. "What offer?" I questioned. His grin only seemed to grow, though I wasn't sure it could grow wider. "I would love you to take my place as commander, stand by my side. In turn, I will spare the remaining elemental masters and your friends of the tournament the already chosen are going through. They will live a full happy life. So Jay Gordon Walker, do we have a deal?"

I looked down at the sleeping elemental in front of me. Kai couldn't manage to stay awake after I discovered he has amnesia. I sighed, tugging at the cage over his mouth. It was on there tight, no way I will get it off with my bare hands.   Those guards were messed up. They just came in here and started beating the shit out of us. Cutting us with whatever they could, collecting our blood. What for? I have no idea. I've just been sitting here, waiting, watching, listening for anything. This place has been uncomfortably quiet, usually, there are guards in here 24\7. However, recently the guards have been limited. Something is going on in the outside world that is affecting the drop in security; I don't have to be free to know that. Yet here I am, unable to do anything but hope for the best. The best not being so bright though. This entire ordeal has made its mark on my mind, it has on all of us. Another thing I don't need to be free to know. That everyone in this prison is suffering in their thoughts, just. Like. Us. The realization that the world is not kind not forgiving is jumping into our minds. That's what thinking does to someone. The realization that there's always someone suffering, just. Like. Us. There's always a child starving, just. Like. Us. People are being abandoned, just. Like. Us. From any age, from child to elders people are being forgotten, just. Like. Us. No one in the world is truly special. We all will be tormented, beaten, broken, lost, hurt... Whether we realize it or not. We all will be forgotten. Our elements mean nothing, they aren't special, they are not a gift. They are a curse. Those who have power are bound to be hunted. Torn to shreds. We are not safe. We never will be. We will never truly be free even if someone saves us from this place... The memory, the fear... It will always be there. We will always remember... I looked down at kai, he may not remember everything now but he will. When he does the PTSD will hit him like a train, he will break more than he's already broken. I don't wish for that to happen to him, or anyone. That's just the way the world is, and I can't do anything to change that. I perked my head up as I heard distant footsteps. They are here. I hear people coming, it's only a matter of time now. I looked down at the one person I truly felt bad for. Petting his hair and leaning into his ear. "Don't worry... Push your fear aside, you won't have to suffer here anymore. You can rest easy now." Before I looked up, watching his breath escape his mouth. As if it was his last.

Yep, double cliffhanger! I know I'm cruel

1. What do you think the outcome of both cliffhangers will be?

2. Why do you think Hutchins wanted to be king? He didn't answer why?

3. What do you think this all means for Ninjago?

I know. Deep questions.