Chapter Five

Chapter Five: Comfortable?

Point of View: Artemis

Ten hours later

My eyes flutter open and I see white everywhere around me. I sit up quickly to find I am in a bed with hanging curtains drawn around it. The color is warming instead of that alarming evil red and I see that he's given me my privacy. 

I push the curtains apart to see the room is all white and the windows to the outside are shut tight. I put my hand over my mouth. 

He's made sure I don't feel uncomfortable in this room, well, as uncomfortable as possible when I'm clear down in the depths of my evil great great uncle/step great grandfather/soon to be father in law. Our family is truly screwed up royally. I'm marrying my uncle's son which means I'll be marrying another uncle, but used to be cousin. Wow, that's weird. I wonder if it's running through Perseus's head right now or if it already has. 

I get off the bed and walk down the long hall after checking each room, then descend the first staircase, check that floor, and make it to the ground floor. I walk around exploring until I find him in the kitchen. He's not eating or drinking anything, yet I smell food. 

"Has wandering around and sleeping for a long time made you hunger or should I put the food into the freezer?" He asks without looking away from his book. 

I stop in my tracks. He's not even facing me, I'm not making any noise, and I usually don't have my presence in the air like he has his at the moment. "Yes, I am hungry." I answer. 

"You sound like I'll be angry if you aren't. On the contrary, I wouldn't even be annoyed. I'd just have to move the food from the table to the refrigerator again." He says. "And you smell more like cinnamon after you wake up. Interesting. You make way too much noise by the way. I'm not your ordinary freak." 

Oh, right. My smell, but I didn't realize how good his hearing really is. "Freak?" I ask and he ignores the question. "Haven't you wondered about how weird it is that I'm marrying you?" 

"If you're talking about how I should theoretically still be your cousin but I'm really your uncle now, then, yes, I've thought about it. Just think of me as the monster under your bed and that thought won't be at the forefront of your mind." He replies and snaps his book closed. He walks into another room and comes back without it. He gestures for me to go into another room through the doorway ten feet in front of me. I do and end up in a huge dining room with a hanging chandelier. He helps me sit down and the sits across from me. Not at the two heads, but on either side of one on one end of the huge, long table. 

"What's with the grandeur? You didn't give me that impression." I ask. 

He snorts. "I was forced into the grandeur. I don't prefer it, besides, I have huge family members. I guess it wouldn't do if it was some small cottage like house. I didn't even want that. I'd rather sleep outside but my mother will not let me. I'm stuck inside when I go home if I want to sleep." 

"Am I your prisoner in this house?" I ask. 

"You have sounded dutiful ever since you woke up. I'm not your lord, I've never been like that. And no, you are not my prisoner, especially not here. I can make you my prisoner if you want but I don't have prisoners. That's not my part in this world." He answers. 

I take a few seconds to answer. "What is your part?" 

He smirks. "I'm the torturer. I have more ideas than they do, I'm the creative one." 

He picks up his cup and drinks out of it. "What are you drinking?" 

His smirk stays in place and he keeps his eyes on mine. "You don't want to know." He laughs softly.