Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: The Fall of the Romans

Point of View: Perseus Jackson

I land outside of Camp Jupiter in front of the tunnel and in between the camp and the monster army. "To battle!" I yell and the monsters charge into the tunnel. 

I walk slowly into the tunnel, taking my time. Once I reach the solid and locked phalanx of the Roman demigods, I draw my sword. Reyna, in her immortal praetorship, is the first to notice me. "Keep strong!" She yells forcefully and throws her shield into the mix, strengthening it. 

I push back the phalanx with ease and the monsters surround those once I push them back out of the tunnel. Most of the army floods down into the ranks of the rest of the legion, the brave souls guarding the tunnel surrounded by the worst of this half of our army. 

"Who are you?" Reyna asks me and watched warily.  

"The Bane of Olympus." I answer. 

"Funny, you don't look like the Ophiotaurus." She smirks, but it's unsteady and her voice is slightly shaky. 

"No, I don't. And I'm not. I'm one of the souls come to destroy Olympus and tear it to pieces. And you're in my way. The children of the gods die first while your parents do nothing to save you. Not to mention your Greek brothers and sisters aren't here. But that isn't their fault. They're being kept busy. And our spells repel them away from their own border, keeping them inside. Pitiful. I thought you were all supposed to be strong." I counter. 

"I'm never in the way because I am always leading." She steels herself and drops her shield, pulling out her spear. She comes closer. 

"Then I guess you'll die before these other foolish souls." I point at the others of the phalanx with my chin. 

"I'll reform and come back if you do best me." Reyna says. 

"I'm a son of Tartarus. I can make sure you won't reform or never leave the Pit. You'll be in my territory, my home. You would be mine to make sure your soul is in eternal agony. I do enjoy bringing pain to those who oppose my father." I tell her. 

Her trip on her spear tightens and she turns pale, but she charges anyway. The moment she stepped forward, was the moment she sealed her fate. When she is about to run me through, I side step and run her through instead. She impales herself on my sword and I lean down next to her ear. "So much sadness boiling in your soldiers at seeing you die first. Such a pity. I used to like you. But now you're dead. See you down in the Pit, Reyna." I whisper. 

She shimmers away and the field is dead silent. The monsters are grinning at me. I know they only had one praetor, no one else would take the other position. I address the monsters, "What are you waiting for? Kill them all, eat your fill and when you're too full, slaughter the rest. Any immortals are sent to Tartarus, don't eat those. Enjoy." I tell them. I turn and sheathe my sword as all the monsters walk past me. "Chief, you're in charge. I've got gods to hunt down." I tell an overgrown cyclops.

"Yes, sir! Thank you." He salutes me and runs down, bashing into the phalanx and eating one he picks up at random. I turn and look at the field. Buildings on fire, collapsed. Soldiers dead or bleeding out, being eaten, fighting for their lives. Weapons and armor litter the field and hardly any dust piles revealing that monsters are winning this fight and will probably beat them all. 

And what do I feel? Noting but pure, blissful, pleasure at seeing the fools dying because of their moronic parents ruling their lives. They would have been better off not listening to them. 

What do I know about this war? If they wouldn't have sent me to Tartarus, I would have been here to save them and things would be different. But they aren't, and I don't care about these soldiers anymore.