Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: More Explanations and The Fall of the Greeks

Point of view: Perseus Jackson

The next morning

"Perseus." I hear someone whisper. 

I open my eyes slowly and stare at the ceiling. "Death today." I whisper. 

"Who?" I look over to see Artemis. 

"Greek." I murmur. 

"Oh." She says. "A dream or just anticipation of today's events?" 

"Both. You look happy this morning." I comment. 

"I feel my sisters. Are they truly here?" She asks hopefully and a little excited. 

I nod and she squeals, hugging me tightly. "Why are you still in bed if they are here?" 

"I was waiting for you." She answers cheerily. 

"How long have you been up waiting for me?" I wonder. 

"Only a few minutes." She tells me. 

"How do you feel?" I ask. 

"Great." She smiles. 

I sit up and get out of bed. I dress quickly and she follows me out the door in some silver day gown she found in the dresser. "It's early. Are they used to being up this early in the morning?" I ask. 

"I have not yet adjusted to the time here. And there is no sun or moon to help me. What time is it?" She asks. 

"There is no time here. Just morning, afternoon, evening, and night. Trying to tell time here is like trying to catch the wind with the world. It is impossible. By best estimate for you would be around five. That is all I can give you." I explain. 

"Oh, some of them are up and about at this time." She answers thoughtfully. 

"They might be adjusting to my blessing and the atmosphere. You did it quickly because of your being a goddess. They are mortals and demigods that have immortality." I tell her. 

"Partial immortality anyways. They can die in battle." She tells me sadly. 

I don't answer and go to the kitchen. She takes notice of my look. "What is it?" 

"They aren't partially immortal anymore." I whisper as I move around getting ingredients. 

"What do you mean?" She asks in confusion. 

"My blessing made them immortal. You and the gods were unaffected. The minor gods don't have it. They are with my mother. She keeps them stable in this place." I tell her. 

"Did you tell them yet?" She asks me concerned. 

"No. I have not." I say. 

I hear a yawn come from the living room on the second floor, descending footfalls on the stairs, and then padding to the kitchen as I move around. One of them has awoken. "My lady!" The person exclaims. 

I glance back to see Phoebe hugging Artemis and I start making the food. 

"Are you alright?" Phoebe asks her. 

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Artemis replies. 

"Lord Apollo said the man who came and took you with him was angry with you and wasn't adamant on protecting you until he had to due to an oath on the Styx. Now you're married." Phoebe explains. 

"Oh, I see. Remember a few years ago? What I told you?" Artemis asks. 

I start to make more food and hear the others start to move around, the sounds of restless waking. "Yes, I completely forgot." Phoebe answers and sighs. "And this is the man you chose? Is he the same man who brought you here?"