1

The room only has seventh years and the 'eighth years' in the great hall. The eighth years are the people who decided to finish their final year at Hogwarts due to it being cut short. We waited anxiously for McGonagall to speak; what news could make this woman so pale?

After about ten minutes of silence, she finally walked to the podium. Her face was grim and regretful. "I am sorry to announce this, truly," She says. Oh lovely, more bad news as if war trauma isn't enough. "Please note that I have tried relentlessly to get this law undone, with no prevail. With that, I am unpleased t announce that due to the war the population in the wizarding world has immensely decreased. Important measures had to be taken in order to preserve the wizarding world," She quickly wipes a tear that managed to escape. "All wizards and witches, aged seventeen through twenty, will be given a partner. With this partner, you must marry them by no later than June and have a pregnancy by September of next year. Whomever you are paired with is your soulmate, or so the ministry has told me," She seemed to take a moment to breathe.

Boo's echoed in the room and threats were being thrown around. I felt my body shiver as my heart plummetted. How in the fuck is this legal? I clenched my hands into tight fists and swallowed harshly. I know that whoever I am paired with is going to hate me. I am a Lestrange after all. Sure I saved Harry Potter and Hermione Granger from being kidnapped by my mother, but I still took that stupid fucking mark, whether it was by choice or not, I am a monster.

"Enough!" McGonagall bellowed. "You have assigned, shared, dorms with two other couples. They are on the third floor, the first corridor. Each door has a number which will be given to you as I call the pairs. I will start now," She called a random pair of hufflepuffs.

While McGonagall continued listing pairs, Professor Flitwick charmed small pieces of parchment to go to their intended recipient. I was given the number '2'. I crumpled the parchment and put it into a pocket of my robe, waiting for my name.

After almost nearly everyone was called my palms started to sweat. What if I don't have a soulmate? Maybe I really am just that unlovable. I watched as Hermione was placed with Ron, Harry with Ginny Weasley, and Astoria with Draco. Daphne was paired with Theodore Nott, and Pansy was paired with A random Ravenclaw boy. Luna was put with Blaise. I was slightly shocked, I thought it would've been her and Longbottom. I guess not.

There were only four people left now. Me, Neville Longbottom, Padma Patil, and a Hufflepuff girl that I know as Hannah Abbott.

"Padma Patil, and Hannah Abbott," McGonagall smiled slightly at the pair. I was slightly shocked, they weren't the first queer couple, but I assumed Hannah and Neville at least. But wait- It's only Neville and I. Oh fuck. 

My head whipped around to face him. His jaw was hanging ajar, no doubt identical to mine. I shook my head, this man literally hates me. My mother drove his parents loopy, and now I have to marry him? Have a child with him? Have sex with him? No, simply no.

"There's been a mistake," I croak out. McGonagall only shakes her head and manages a weak smile before waving us out. I felt my body tense and we both mad our way to the third floor. Once we reached room two, we opened the door to see Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley sittingon the couch. They looked happy. Then Ronald Weasley sitting awkwardly beside Hermione Granger.

"Neville," They cheered, clearly unaware of why he looks very distraught. I stepped out from behind him and nodded at them.

"Uhm, good to see you're all doing well," I nodd briefly at the couples before pointing at the third staircase as if to ask if that was my- our, dorm. Ginny nodded at me and gave me a kind smile. Something that made me relax slightly, at least they're being civil.