20*

It had been two weeks since Christmas, and everyone was soundly back at Hogwarts. I met Neville in the kitchen where Hermione and Ron were chatting quietly. I greeted them with a small, polite smile and gave Neville a soft kiss on the cheek. His hands immediately snaked their way around my waist. I beamed up at him and placed a quick kiss on his lips.

Ron pulled us from our trance with an abrupt, "AHEM." We pulled apart and smiled sheepishly.

"Ready to go?" Harry called, walking down the stairs with Ginny on his arm.

Everyone nodded and we made our way out the door and began our journey to Hogsmeade.

We began walking and while Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny began talking, Neville and I fell back. I looked at Neville and his jaw was clenched tightly. I frowned and squeezed our interlocked fingers.

"You alright?" I ask him.

He shakes his head, but I press a little harder. "Neville, what's wrong?"

He looks down at me, his green eyes filled with uncertainty, "So, Uhm, what're your thoughts on children?" He asks, his cheeks turning pink.

I giggle, "We kind of have to have them," I tell him.

"Right." He says and pulls his hand from my grip. Cool air rushes between my fingers and I suddenly miss the warmth of his hand.

I stare at him as he begins to speed up his pace, "Neville! That's not what I meant!" I call after him.

Without turning to look at me he says, "No, I know exactly what you meant, Ascella. It's fine, I get it."

I hardly know how to process what just happened, but I can feel the bitter sting of his use of my full name. I feel tears prick my eyes, but I refuse to let them fall. He truly can't be stupid enough to think I don't want children with him. Of course, I do. He's my Fiancee. My soon-to-be husband. Whether the relationship was forced or not, I love him and children were just always a part of the picture.

I follow a few steps behind Neville for the rest of the walk and even into the restaurant. I take my respective seat beside him, but I fell cold next to him. It's like he switched his love for me off after what I said.

I try to grip his hand, maybe to let him know I really didn't mean it how he thinks, or even just to know that he isn't as cold as he's acting. Regardless, he pulls his hand away from mine, and a feel my heart ache at his action.

When the waitress comes to take our order, everyone orders their food and drinks and no one has seemed to notice the distance between Neville and me. As we wait for the foot to arrive, everyone begins chatting. I take notice of how Neville avoids every conversation I'm a part of.

When the food arrives, everyone eats quickly and Ron is quick to order dessert. When Ron's dessert arrives I excuse myself to the restroom where I feel Ginny follow. Once securely in the ladies' room, I hear Ginny sigh.

"What happened?" She asks.

I frown and look at her sympathetic face, "He asked about kids. And when I said we kind of had to have them, he turned so...cold," I tell her, tears brimming my eyes. "Gin, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just meant they're in the picture either way, not that I don't want them." I place my face in my palms and Ginny wraps her arms around me.

"When we go home, force him to listen to you. Let's just get through dinner for now though, okay?" She pats my back and pulls away. I nod and head back to the table.

Once Ron has finished his dessert, and everyone has paid, we begin our walk back. I remain a few steps behind Neville the whole trek, and even once we get to our room. When I close the door behind me, I prepare for some yelling and hold my breath, but nothing comes, so I look up to see Neville sitting on the end of the bed, rubbing his light stubble harshly.