10

With Halloween just around the corner, the whole school seemed to be in a bit of a buzz. It was strange to see everyone this happy for Halloween, but I suppose it will be the first holiday we can freely celebrate since the war. Hermione forced Ron to buy their costumes about two weeks ago. Apparently, they are going as a muggle duo costume. Something about a show on the telly called friends? I'm not too sure, but Mione' said they were going as Monica and Chandler, whoever that is.

Ginny Picked out their costumes last night on a late-night adventure to Hogsmeade. They went with pirates, a classic and simple costume. Neville and I still haven't picked out costumes, and even with a week until Halloween, we really can't be bothered.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halloween, just not the whole costume thing. I enjoy handing out candy and seeing little kids in costumes, but picking out a costume is my worst nightmare. It takes up too many brain cells. Why? Because think of everything you have to factor into it. What's trending? Will this be too slutty? Too much of a prude-like? Will a guy like this? But will a girl not? You get the idea.

Simply too much effort.

By lunch, Neville convinced me to go with him and pick out a costume for us. I begrudgingly agreed and pouted the entire way to Hogsmeade. When we finally reached the costume shop and began looking at the costumes, my mood lightened a bit.

The two of us decided on being vampires. Mine was a bit on the sluttier side, but I didn't care all that much. Neville bought the costumes and then we walked around Hogsmeade for a while, occasionally stopping to check out stores. When five came around, we went to dinner at the Three Broomsticks.

We picked out a quiet booth in a far corner of the pub and ordered our food. I got chicken strips and Neville ordered a steak. We chatted aimlessly as our food was being cooked, not really caring about anything.

"I remember when we first got paired," I laughed, reminiscing on the memory. The pure look of shock that was written on our faces.

Neville shook his head and smiled, "Imagine if they saw us now," He muttered.

I giggled and took another sip of my butterbeer. Just then, our food arrived and we began eating. It took a long time for us to get through our meals as we continued talking about random things. I learned that Neville loves to cook, and isn't a huge drinker.

When we did finally finish our food, We continued to talk for another thirty minutes before paying the bill and going. The street was silent and calm. Something about it just felt right as we walked side by side back to the castle.

I interloped our fingers and beamed up at him, "I'm glad you made me come with you."

"I'm glad you agreed," He smiled warmly at me.

I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach with every look, every word, every gentle touch. Something about him was just so perfect. We walked silently for a few more minutes until Neville leaned down and pecked my cheek. The butterflies swarmed again and I felt myself blush.

I couldn't explain why I was blushing. We've been engaged for nearly three weeks, he kisses me all the time. So why am I so nervous all of the sudden? I shook the feeling off and let go of his hand.

"Tag!" I yelled and tapped his arm before rushing off.

"No you don't!" Neville called after me. I heard him running steadily behind me. I was almost up the hill when he tackled me to the ground and rolled on top of me. I grinned up at him and he packed my lips. "Tag," He whispered before jumping up and running.

But I didn't chase him. I froze. Because at that moment, I knew. I knew that I loved him, and that thought scared me. I haven't loved anyone romantically in my entire life. No one. He already told me he loved me, that wasn't my concern. My concern was how much can I really open up to him? What if he sees too much and runs? My hands began trembling, and I felt strong arms wrap around me.

"You alright, El?" He asked me, calling me by that nickname. I don't let anyone use that nickname anymore, but at this moment, he is allowed.

I nod, "Yes, of course. Let's just head back to the castle," I mutter numbly and free myself out of his arms. We walk back into the castle in silence and make it back to our dorm. Everyone was gathered around the couches, but I made up an excuse and went up to our room.

After a few minutes, I hear the door open and stop pacing. My eyes fly to the door, and I see Neville. His frame filled the door. He gave me a look of confusion and closed the door. I gave him a panicked look and he walked calmly over to me. I felt him wrap his arms around me and hold me close to him.

"Tell me what's wrong," He sounded almost like he was pleading.

"It's stupid. Never mind," I mutter into his chest, trying to pull myself away but failing due to his arms.

I felt him plant a kiss on my head before he spoke, "Please."

I sighed into his chest and debated. Surely there's no harm in telling him what's wrong, but I don't want to open my heart to him and have it crushed. I learned that from a young age. If you lend your heart, it will come back damaged. I simply can't do that, not after everything the war put me through.

"No," I pushed away and escaped Neville's arms. "I'm sorry, but no."

"El, please," He tried to plead with me, but I cut him off.

"I fucking said no, drop it," I yelled at him. It was harsh and uncalled for, but it made him go.

He scoffed at me and slammed the door on his way out. I wiped away a tear that happened to have fallen from my eye and quickly got ready for bed. Neville came into the room around one in the morning and changed quietly, assuming I was asleep. I wasn't.

He crawled into the bed and pulled me in by the waist. His lips pressed gently on my shoulder, and I heard him whisper a quiet, "Goodnight."

I continued to lay still, but my mind didn't seem to stop. All I could think about was how I lashed out at Neville over something so stupid. Maybe if I just told him while he is sleeping it would be alright? I waited an hour, and was still unable to fall asleep.

Absentmindedly, I grabbed onto Neville's arm that was rested at my waist and held it gently.

"I think I love you," I whispered more to myself than him. Either way, he was alseep and couldn't hear me.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry guys, I got busy yesterday and couldn't publish. I was called into work unexpectedly and then had to also cover a shift for someone today. I work the whole weekend too, so please be patient as I probably won't publish until Sunday night or Monday night. Have a great day <3