Frozen hearts (Saerom - fromis_9)

You wake up with a low groan and a severe pain on your head

You wake up with a low groan and a severe pain on your head. You've had terrible starts to a morning, but not to this level of heightened agony. Your eyes can barely muster up the strength to open more than a quarter only. It feels like an anchor weighing you down when you try to move. It isn't like you're exhausted nor do you drink excessively—you simply feel a lot heavier than you normally do.

Getting up is an immense struggle. Every fiber of your body refuses to cooperate. They drag along with heavy resistance. It's like they don't want to associate with you. Nevertheless, you're able to stand on your two feet, albeit it takes a couple of falls to your knees. Your vision is blurred by a vast field of pure white; you aren't sure if this is heaven, limbo, or some other plane of existence. Everywhere you turn, you are met with an endless void of nothingness.

Am I dead? Certainly not. I can feel the cold air flow all around me.

Your left foot sinks into the thick snow when you take your first step. Same for the right foot. After the fifth step, you lose balance and land chin first into the sleet. Eyes go shut and you grimace in pain. Blood trickles out of your chin upon impact, but it's only a minor cut. Clearly you're not in the best condition to move, but your instincts tell you to continue, to survive, to live.

With a grunt, you rise to your feet again then carefully trudge along the dense, endless stream of ice and frost.

The frigid atmosphere persisted. Your hands kept themselves wrapped around your body for most of the long, anxious walk. Under the relentless, icy winds you constantly shivered and trembled. Thankfully, the sun shone brightly, high in the clear sky. No signs of a brewing snowstorm. One less problem to worry about. Still, you struggled to journey down the vast, slush covered wasteland.

After hours upon hours of aimless hiking the frozen plains, you stumble upon chunks of metal and other random material. Your eyes widen as a piece of white metal reveals itself out of the snow. After you pass by it, more pieces continue to emerge, as if they lead to somewhere. With what little burst of energy you have, you start to jog a little, desperate to find where these shards would take you. Around the corner, you finally see its place of origin. Look up and your jaw drops.

Remnants of a destroyed airplane ripped in half lay above the ice. Its interior is exposed and open for exploration and dissection. Luggages and bags are left scattered around the wreckage, having been ejected from the compartments and storages during the crash. You refuse to think about what's in there, let alone step inside. By some miracle, you managed to survive this. As you walk around the ruins, you can't help but shiver—for a different reason.

Traces of skin are wedged between the plane's engine. Lifeless bodies lay everywhere in the open, partially coated in ice. There isn't much to see on the inside from where you stand, but you mostly assume it's mostly the same there too. You grit your teeth and shake your head as the gruesome thoughts of death occupy your mind. None of these people deserved their sudden, cruel, and tragic fate. How you ended up a long distance from here, you don't know.