3 | Bruno's Vision

“What time are we going there, mamá?” I asked my mother while the three of us were eating breakfast. “I say tonight.” Mariano spoke. “Well, if your brother says tonight, then tonight it is.” A dinner with the Madrigals! What could possibly go wrong?

“I want five babies!” My brother exclaimed and ate a spoonful of avocado. “Hermano, you have to slow down.” I lightly laughed at him before eating my breakfast.

“Hermano, you gotta look your best tonight!” I said as we finished washing the dishes. I followed him to his room. “I know, Luciana. Now, get out of my room first. I need to get ready.”

“You're kicking me out?” I faked a sob, putting my hand on my chest for the extra dramatic effect. “Luciana.” He said in a warning tone. “Ugh, fine. I'll go check on Mirabel. She must be feeling down because of last night.” I said and walked towards his door.

“Don't cause any trouble for the Madrigals while me and mamá get ready!” I only responded with a hum and went to my room to change.

While on my way to La Casa Madrigal, I saw Luisa carrying the donkeys. “Morning, Luisa.” I greeted with a smile. “Good morning, Luciana! On your way to our casita?” She asked and I went beside her as she grabbed another donkey.

“Yup! I'll just check on Mirabel to see if she's okay from last night.” I said. “Remember to take a rest, Luisa!” I waved goodbye and continued on walking to the Madrigals.

Once I arrived in front of the casita, I knocked and Camilo opened it for me. “Camilo, hey. Is Mirabel there?” I lightly smiled at him. “I haven't seen her. Sorry, Luciana.” He smiled apologetically. “Would you still like to come in?” He offered and I nodded.

“Make yourself feel at home in the meantime. I'm sure Mirabel will be back later.” He said before scurrying off to somewhere.

I went upstairs and looked at each of their doors. I never took the time to admire the portraits on each one. But I suddenly found myself staring too long at Isabela's door. ‘I wonder if she's in there…’

My train of thought was cut short when the door opened. “Ah!” I lightly exclaimed as Isabela took a step back, seemingly surprised to see me in front of her room.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, eyebrows furrowing as she gestured to me. “I was looking for Mirabel, but Camilo said he hasn't seen her. So, I'm currently busying myself by admiring the doors.” I rambled on with my explanation.

I noticed Isabela's eye roll when I mentioned her sister's name. “Mirabel this, Mirabel that.” She started mocking. “Tell me, do you like my sister? Wow, Luciana, I didn't know you were the type to like someone who's way younger than you.”

I glared at her because of her sudden outburst. “First of all, I don't like your sister in that way. I don't like anyone in that matter. Second, don't be so quick to judge, Isabela.” I rolled my eyes at her and raised a brow after. “Just because you're ‘Señorita Perfecta Isabela’ doesn't mean that you get to be mean to other people.”

She looked at me, astounded with her mouth slightly agape. I walked away from her and I suddenly bumped into Abuela Alma. “Oh, Abuela.” I greeted with a nod. “Luciana, what a pleasant surprise. To what do we owe this pleasure?” She warmly smiled at me. “I was just waiting for Mirabel to come by.”

Just then, I caught a glimpse of Mirabel walking towards us. “And there she is.” I said and pointed to Abuela's back where Mirabel was.

“Hey, Mira!” I greeted, but it seemed like she wasn't paying attention because she bumped into me. “Where are you coming from in such a hurry?” Abuela Alma asked.