7 | Moonflower

“Um– I was just coming here to ask how are you holding up?” I asked, my tone was laced with hesitation. She only stared at me while I gave her a nervous smile. “D-do you mind letting go of my feet?” I stuttered out.

‘If only the vision wasn't in my mind, then I wouldn't be nervous!’ I began to panic as Isabela slowly walked towards me.

“Why are you looking so panicked, hermosa?” She had this look in her eyes. She slightly bent down to meet my eyes. “Nervous?” She asked. “Nervous? Why would I be nervous?” I let out a laugh, but immediately stopped halfway because of the stare she was giving me.

There it is again. That look. “Why are you looking at me like that?” I raised my eyebrow at her. “Like what?” She challenged me. I groaned out and tried to remove the vines from my feet, but it would only reattach once more once I manage to remove it.

“Look at me, Luciana.” Isabela said and grabbed my chin to face me towards her. “Are you really here to check up on me? Say sorry that your brother's proposal was ruined?” She asked. “Or are you here for something else?”

Isabela's

I stared at her again as I waited for her reply. I've never laid my eyes on anyone as beautiful as you.’ I thought as I admired her face. Her eyes that would twinkle when she's excited or happy. Her chocolate brown skin that would perfectly glow when the sun's rays were present.

Her lips. Her slightly plump, reddish lips. I subconsciously licked my lips as my eyes landed on hers. I let out a small hum as I continued to admire the woman in front of me.

“Stop looking at me like you're about to devour me.” She said and she shifted under my gaze. “Then would you like me to stop staring and start devouring you instead, hermosa?” I challenged.

She seemed flustered as she cleared her throat a couple of times, seeming to look for words to speak. “What's the matter, Luciana? Currently at a lost for words?” I asked. I started to circle around her, and she followed me with her gaze.

“Who knew that you couldn't come up with a remark, sabelotodo?” I chuckled. “I like the look on your face when you're flustered.” I said and gave a pat on her cheek. “Come with me.”

I walked towards my bed as she followed, still not releasing her from my vines. “Are the vines still necessary?” She complained. Getting tired of her complaints, I released her as I sat on my bed. “They will be necessary soon, bonita.” I said in a low voice and scooted to the side to make room for her.

Taking that as a sign, she sat beside me reluctantly. “So, why are you really here in the first place?” I asked as I arched an eyebrow. She just stared at me, seeming troubled. “Speak, Luciana.” I demanded. “I was just teasing you earlier. There's no need to get so nervous.” I said and lifted the bed with my vines.

She scoffed. “Easy for you to say that.” I sighed, knowing that it will be hard to get her to actually talk without the complaints and remarks. “Then just stay quiet while I make a few flowers.”

I caught her rolling her eyes at me as I slightly turned to the side. With a wave of my hand, a bouquet of red and pink roses appeared. Without a word, I immediately gave it to her. A little startled, she grabbed the bouquet and threw me a questioning look. “What am I supposed to do with this?”

“Accept it.” I fought the urge to roll my eyes at her. “Thanks, I guess?” Luciana responded. There was silence, an awkward one, after that while I still made flowers just to keep me busy.

I could see her fiddling with the bouquet, like it's the most fascinating thing she has ever seen. I let out a sigh as I faced her. “You know,” I started and she looked at me. “I could never make a flower that would be as beautiful as you.”

“Um– Isabela?” I ignored her and continued on talking. “You're just like a moonflower. So beautiful, yet could be quite harmful.” I reached to touch her cheek, only to withdraw my hand inches before I got to touch her.

“Excuse me? Harmful? When did I hurt you?” I laughed softly at her. “I didn't know when, and I didn't know how. Maybe it was when my Gift ceremony happened. Maybe it happened during the past few days.” I shrugged. “Who knows?”

“I like you. I like you to the point wherein it hurts that you only see me as nothing more than a stranger; an acquaintance.” She let out a nervous laugh. “Stop it with the jokes, Isabela.” She stuttered out.

“I'm not joking, Luciana.” I looked at her dead in the eye as I slowly inched closer to her. “But you're engaged to my brother!” She exclaimed. I frowned at the statement.

“I never wanted to marry Mariano. No offense to you and your family. I was only doing it for Abuela.” I said, inches away from her. So close that we could feel each other's breaths fanning our faces.

But then, she suddenly pushed me away. “This is still wrong, and you know that. Isabela, we're both women. That isn't in the norm.” She reasoned. “Even if you made me feel things that I can never fully understand, the only thing that I understand is that this,” Luciana gestured to the both of us. “This is wrong. A sin. A mistake.”

I let out a low chuckle. “A mistake.” I repeated her words. It left a bitter taste in my mouth. “So, this kind of love is only a mistake and it's wrong? Do you consider the ‘love’ between me and Mariano as right and just?” I scoffed at her, tears starting to well up in my eyes.

“Isa–” I held out the palm of my hand on her face, signalling her to stop. “Just– just don't.” I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself down and stop myself from crying in front of her. “It'll just make things worst. Get out.”

I heard my voice break, and that's when my tears came. Hot streaks came rolling down my cheeks. I could make out Luciana giving me a pitiful look through my blurry vision.

She hesitantly engulfed me in a hug. “Hey, it's okay.” She said as she rubbed my back. “It's not and it will never be okay.” I said and tried to push her away, but she only tightened her grip around me.

“I won't let you go.” She whispered. “You're stubborn.” I tried to make her let go of me and eventually, she did.

She pulled back, now at arm's distance. We stared into each other's eyes. Her dark brown orbs held many emotions, while mine only held sadness. “You're making this more difficult for me.” I chuckled as another tear dropped.

Luciana wiped my tear stained face and lightly smiled. “Well, you should know that I can be too difficult to deal with at times.” She said. We both laugh while still holding onto each other's arms.

My eyes trailed towards her lips, making me lick mine subconsciously again. And then, I was closing the distance between us. Or was it Luciana who was inching closer? Maybe it was the two of us.

I closed my eyes when I felt our noses brush against each other. I tilted my head, my mouth slightly agape as she did the same while our lips were almost touching each other.

“Isa? Luciana? Hey.” I heard Mirabel's voice suddenly call out. Luciana let out a short scream as she pushed me back. She looked shocked and flustered as she stared at me. She was breathing heavily as she looked towards where Mirabel's voice came from.

“I know we've had our issues, but I'm ready to be a better sister… to you.” I groaned out of frustration. “Oh, we really had our issues, and you've added another one.” I grumbled.

“How does she even know that you're here?” I asked Luciana. She only responded with a nervous laugh. I furrowed my eyebrows as I glared at her. “So, we should just hug. Let's hug it out, huh?”

Having enough of Mirabel, I decided to lower my bed. ‘These two have some explaining to do.’

-

And I'm finally back lol. Sorry it took so long to update! But anyway, the next chapter might be a bit long since I plan on including Isabela's song because What Else Can I Do is just so addicting.