9. "I am trying"

Wei Ying - Yunnan

I've slept with Lan Zhan's shirt for a couple of nights. I remember waking up but only for a little bit. I was able to come out of the dream without causing too much unnecessary disturbance. Lan Zhan was able to sleep through both nights, which makes me happy. It makes me relieved, actually.

"Thank you for the shirt. It helps." I tell him with a smile.

He smiles back and takes the shirt. We both get ready, and I head out with my team to YMC. Once we get there, my day gets busy. Our new process is working well, and I am hoping I can get off after only one shift.

When the next team is ready to come in to switch shifts with us, Wen Ning catches me. "Xian-ge, when will I get to spend some time with you? It's been over a week since you have been here in Yunnan. We haven't even had a meal together." He complains.

"Sorry about that, A-Ning. I have been busy. Are you coming in or going out right now? We could grab dinner if you want, and later I can take a cab back to the base." I offer.

"I am coming in, Xian-ge. I will only be getting out tomorrow at 7 AM. I have night shifts this week." He looks sad.

"Okay, tell you what? Tomorrow morning when I come to work, I will plan to take two shifts. That way, on Wednesday morning, we both can get out at the same time, and I can come to your place. Would that be okay?" I ask him as I walk out.

"That's perfect." He agrees, and I leave with my team.

Lan Zhan greets our truck as we disembark. He sports a tiny smile when he sees me, and I respond with a huge grin. "What will it be like if I get to see him whenever I return from work?" I am too scared of dreaming such dreams, so I just shut up and decide to enjoy it while it lasts.

Somehow Jing Yi catches this exchange and is ready with a taunt. "Captain, I guess you are not going to ask me who did not return with the truck today?" His eyes move between Lan Zhan and me. I can see delicate color rising in Lan Zhan's ears. But his expression is as stoic as ever, and he only has to fix Jing Yi with a cold stare to make the younger officer salute and run away.

"How was your day, Wei Ying?" His demeanor instantly changes as he walks beside me and enquires.

"Busy, but good busy. I am glad I was able to get out after only one shift. Our new process seems to be working well." I explain.

"Good." is all he says, but I can detect a hint of relief and what might be hope in that little word.

"Should I tell him now? How will he react?" I wonder. I decide to suck it up and find out for myself. "Um... Lan Zhan, tomorrow I will take two shifts. Wen Ning wants to spend time with me, and he is on the second shift this week. I can get out with him on Wednesday morning if I take two shifts tomorrow. We will go to his place to rest during the day. It's near the YMC. His roommate works during the day, so that won't be a problem. Then I will do the second shift on Wednesday and return on Thursday morning. I have already spoken to Dr. Song Lan, and he has agreed to swap things around with me. I just wanted to discuss this with you also. Hope you think it is okay?"

"So after tomorrow morning, I will get to see you only on Thursday? That's two whole days in between." I gasp as he almost whines. I can feel the sadness in his words. 'Does it matter to him that much?'

"Lan Zhan, I... Wen Ning is like family. Two days will be gone before you know it, and since we both get the same weekly days off, we can plan something over the weekend too. Please?" I try to cheer him up with something to do over the weekend.

"Alright. As you wish. Please text me during the days you are not planning to come back to base. I worry about you." He admits, and my heart feels a warmth it hasn't felt in a long time.