17. "Are you really here?"

Lan Zhan, Yunnan

Once we get all the teams ready, we head out. Jiang Cheng and Wen Qing are with the Signals vehicle. We reach near the area but park a few meters away. The Signals vehicle gets as close to the place as possible. We are waiting for them to tell us that they have taken down the security cameras. With the help of Jiang Cheng, our team does quick work on that. Hacking into the warehouse's computer network, they also produce a layout of the structure on the inside, and we all memorize it.

It is starting to rain which is good for us. It will help muffle our sounds as we move to take our positions. Donning our night vision glasses, we surround the building. There are six guards stationed outside, two near each of the three entrances. My boys take them down. Methodically we move inside till we reach the place where Wen Chao and Su She are having drinks. They are so intoxicated already that it is easy to subdue them. My boys arrest them and take them to our truck, where they are cuffed.

The room where Dr. Wen and Wei Ying are kept is at the very end. I am assuming Wen Zhu Li is still inside. I instruct Jing Yi and Si Zhui  to take Dr. Wen to the medics and return here to arrest Wen Zhu Li.

Kicking the door to the room, I enter inside. I locate Wen Zhu Li standing close to Wei Ying. He seems to be pouring beer over the wounded man. With monumental effort, I control the urge to take the aim at his head and go for his shin. One bullet from my gun, and he drops down, howling in pain. Wei Ying is still chained and looks all bloodied. I shoot down the chain and steady him as he stumbles, "Wei Ying, Wei Yiaa,... open your eyes for me... please Wei Yiaa..." I am begging.

He opens his eyes with a lot of effort. They are tired, in pain and bloodshot. But when he sees me, he tries to smile. "Lan Zhan... Are you really here?" he asks in a whisper. "Wei Ying,... "I try to say something, but suddenly his eyes widen in horror, and he pushes me away with all his strength. Before I can understand what's going on, I hear a gunshot and see Wei Ying stumbling backward. The bullet has grazed his arm, and We Ying's face contorts with pain and he wobbles as he tries to get down on his knees. Wen Zhu Li had picked up his gun, and he had started shooting. My hand grabs my weapon, and I shoot him straight on his arm. Just before falling, Wen Zhu Li shoots one more bullet, hitting Wei Ying under his left shoulder. The world slows down for me as Wei Ying starts to fall and I gather him in my arms just before his head can hit the floor. Blood is gushing through his undershirt. "WEI YING..." I scream his name as I hear footsteps running towards us.

"GET THE MEDICS..." I yell. Si Zhui  runs out to do that while others take Wen Zhu Li away. Wen Zhu Li laughs like a maniac. "If I can't have him no one will...", he bellows.

The only reason I don't take aim and shoot him dead is the man in my arms. How did it come to this? How? Within a matter of minutes, I am left here with the love of my life bleeding in my arms. "Wei Ying... Wei Yiaa... Wei Yiaa..." I keep on calling his name, caressing his face. I feel sudden hope in my heart when he opens his eyes and looks at me lovingly. He tries to raise his hands to touch my face but struggles. I hold his hands and start undoing the ropes that were still tying them together. "Lan Zhan... I..... " he manages to say before violent coughing rocks his body, and blood starts to pour out of his mouth. He is again unconscious in my arms.

The medics take my Wei Ying, and my heart goes with him. But at this moment, I am still Captain Lan. I have a team to lead. I instruct everyone to get the prisoners in the truck and drive back to the base. I get my boys to search each of these prisoners and have their weapons and communication devices confiscated.

Major Nie joins us with team Bravo just as we are wrapping up. I quickly report the details to him. "Captain Lan, well done. You and a couple of your boys ride with the Wen siblings, Dr. Wei, and the medical team to YMC. They need immediate treatment, especially Dr. Wei Wu Xian. The rest of your team and the Bravo team can finish up here and take prisoners back to the base. We will have Mr. Jiang Cheng stay with us for the time being. He has been an amazing support to the signals team. I will handle all this and meet you at YMC later. Hurry now..."

I thank him, and we start the ride back. Dr. Wen Qing rides in one ambulance with her unconscious brother. He is still asleep but shows no signs of injury. His vitals look good too. I get in the ambulance that's taking Wei Ying.

One of the medics calls YMC and reports, "We have a code blue. The victim has two bullet wounds, burns possibly from electric shock, and possible broken ribs. He is also showing signs of some head trauma. He is losing a lot of blood. From the location of one of the bullet wounds, it might have ruptured his lung or got close to his heart or aorta. We need specialists to be available when we reach. Also.... "

I drown out the rest of their words.