21. "Shameless!"

Lan Zhan, Yunnan

"Captain Lan, it's Wen Ning here," he says as soon as I pick up the call. "Dr. Wen, what's the matter? Is this about Dr. Wei?" I ask urgently.

"Yes, Captain. He is awake. Doctors just did a quick check on him and they say he is recovering well. But..." he hesitates. "But what?" I am worried.

"When he spoke with me, I felt like he is hallucinating. He called you many names. Something like Hanguang-Jun, Lan Wang Ji, and Lan Zhan. He said...." Wen Ning pauses and then continues in a small voice, "He said you were his husband."

I gasp.

"Captain Lan, at this point I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as his health is concerned. These hallucinations are somewhat an expected part of waking up from a coma. This is just a phase and should be over soon. The only thing is when he recovers completely, he may have post-traumatic amnesia. He might not remember everything fully. For now, the best thing to do is to go with his stories as best as we can and protect him from harming himself in any way. I hope you....," He pauses again.

"I understand, Dr. Wen. I will do my best to follow your advice. Thank you for letting me know. Please try to get him to rest. I will wind up stuff here and take the rest of the day off if I can. I will be there as soon as possible." I disconnect the call with mixed feelings.

I am so relieved to know that he is waking up from the coma. I feel happy he is well on the way to recovering fully. I am ecstatic that he thinks I am his husband. But being his husband is only while he is in this state? And he could possibly harm himself in some way? I don't like that about this amnesia.

"Wei Ying! My Wei Yiaa!! He is awake. At last! He is recovering. And for now, I am his husband! Me! Wei Ying's!! Husband!!! Yessss!!!!" my addled brain is taking a victory lap, fist pumping, doing some sort of crazy dance moves, making me blush.

I wind up my work and report to Major Nie. I request that I should be allowed to stay at the YMC and work remotely with my team. Now that we have handed over the prisoners, this whole drug network thing is behind us. I should be able to focus back on the rescue mission alone and guide my teams from there. I will visit the base and other medical facilities as needed. I feel like heaven is blessing me when Major Nie agrees.

"Take care of him," he tells me with a kind smile and pats my shoulder. I blush like a schoolgirl, for once completely unable to control it. Hastily I salute and head out. I shoot an email to my team, pack a bag and ride my motorcycle to YMC.

When I come to his room, he is asleep. I sit by his bed and let my eyes wander all over his small, delicate frame. All that IV fluid is making him look bloated, but I am sure he must have lost a lot of weight. I picture in my head a scene where he is healthy, resting in our bed, in our bedroom and I get to be by his side. "As his husband", my mush brain adds, blushing.

Very carefully I take his hand in mine. After a few minutes, he slowly opens his eyes. I hope he is not forcing himself. The look of pure love and adoration from him only makes my eyes water. "Wei Ying", I call him unable to stop my voice from shaking. "Do I even deserve this?"

"This is no way to greet your husband, Lan Zhan...", he scolds me noticing the tears in my eyes. "I... I woke up a long time ago... and you were not here... And now you get here and... don't even give me a smile... Is this a good way to treat... your Wei Ying when he is injured?" He says, but he is struggling to talk. He is pausing in between, trying to gulp. It is hurting him.

"Wei Ying, dui bu qi. I am so sorry, my Wei Yiaa. It was because of me that you got injured. I could not protect you." I caress his face and he leans into my palm. I can feel that he is hurting. All those gruesome injuries have not healed yet. He is in a lot of pain. But as usual he is trying to cover it up with smiles.