⁶ BURNING

───CHAPTER 06───

───CHAPTER 06───

"Alright, can you explain to me what the difference between Utilitarianism and Deontology is, Connor?"

The boy with dark brown eyes pursed his lips, his neatly combed hair becoming frayed as he scratched his head. "Deontology is the one about God's will being absolute. . . and. . ."

Rai holds back a snort when the boy snaps his finger with a big smile. "Oh! And the other one is about right or wrong," he exclaimed.

The brunette nodded with a smirk, gathering her papers of the course. "Kind of, yeah," she giggles. "You're right about the first one, but, Utilitarianism focuses more on the best outcome rather than it being right or wrong."

"But—" he furrows his brows— "How?"

Rai watched him struggle to put his thoughts into words, his attention scanning his workbook until he found what he was looking for. "So what if there was a ship full of people, and they were the only ones left in the universe," Connor starts, his nose wiggling with an itch. "One of the ships has to dock but there's a spy hidden among the people. The spy is a threat and can kill everyone if they board.

"The captain has to choose whether to let those people board— with the spy among them or leave them there to die."

Her mouth twists, her forehead wrinkled as she flung her bag behind her. She waited for Connor's anticipation to grow, Rai watching him with a warm mess in her heart.

"How many people are on the ship?" she asks.

"Maybe around 500 people. The main ship has 750."

"Okay. . . What exactly do you want me to do? Answer it?"

He nods. "Please. . . Just before the session's over."

"Fine." Her gaze falls on the table, her mind shifting. "The Captain chooses to leave them behind."

The boy's face contorts, and the book slams shut between his fingers. "Why?"

"Because it's too risky to let the spy get through," Rai explains. "In the eyes of Utilitarianism, the right thing to do is what's best for society. So the captain chooses to save 750 lives rather than endanger all of them."

He starts to put away his books, agitation washing over his child-like features. "That's messed up, Rai," he grumbles. "How can he just let 500 people die like that?"

Rai shrugs as she walks over to help Connor pack. "I don't know, maybe you can ask Kant about it," she said with a humoured smile.