¹⁸ KICK-BACK

───CHAPTER 18───

───CHAPTER 18───

The sky was clear from the hill, so endlessly blue and open, wide enough to get lost in. Rai always found comfort in looking up at the sky, and how the colour or pattern ever-changing. Her eyes caught onto things like that instantly, like a magnet.

Her clothes were damp under the sun, but the spring breeze brought in a satisfying chill against her skin. When Rai closed her eyes, she could picture herself somewhere else. From the flower fields in France or a quiet rooftop high up in a bustling city. Rai amused herself with the fantasies while she waited for the last test of the day, sitting on the ground with the water bottle at her lip.

"It's nice out today, right?" Rai felt her entire body go frigid at the sound of his voice. "Glad we were able to get out of class."

She didn't feel as calm anymore. "Yeah, it's nice."

Her eyes fell to her hands, her racing heart thumping in her ears. Rai didn't have the nerve to look his way, Kirishima crouching down next to her. The memories flooded her senses, charismatic grins and long nights between them buried in the past.

He held out his hand, Kirishima smiling at her as if they were strangers. "I'm Eijiro Kirishima. It's nice to meet you."

Her golden eyes flickered faintly as she met his gaze, locking up doors as her quirk flared. Rai just stared at him, took in his face and compared it to the last time she saw him.

He looked so much healthier now; His face was fuller than before, and the colour in his cheeks made his skin look so soft, even with the blemishes. However, it was just a moment, before Rai's eyes fell on his scarred hand that was meant for her to take.

He doesn't remember. . .

"Nice to meet you too, Kirishima." Her gaze shifted to the sky, her lips pursing at the view.

The redhead lets his hand drop, a frown appearing on his mouth as he follows Rai's line of sight. He didn't understand all the secrecy when his friends talked about Rai, and their hushed voices and subtle glances just made him uncomfortable. Of course, Kirishima was aware of the rumours that surrounded her, but he trusted Mr.Aizawa too much.

His homeroom teacher wouldn't make such changes for no reason!

That. . . and he couldn't picture his new classmate as the dubious type.

She sat by herself and watched the sky so peacefully. She completed her tests without complaint, pushing herself until her lungs gave out. Kirishima caught her rubbing her wrists, her delicate hands wrapped around her skinny arms as she winced. His classmates were too quick to judge that they didn't even bother asking how she was doing.