¹⁹ CHAOS

───CHAPTER 19───

───CHAPTER 19───

They hovered over her face, their expression cloaked in darkness. "Rai? Can you hear me?" Something was crushing her throat, the air around her scorching past her lungs.

Tears started accumulating in her ducts. Help.

"Rai! I'm trying! Hold on!" She still couldn't see a face, a small shadowy figure leaving her side. "I'll be back—I promise, Rai."

Her limbs were on fire. Don't. . . Leave. . . Alone.

"You're not alone."

Nobody was there.

"Not when you have a quirk like ours."

What?

"It's been a while since you used your power like that?" she chuckled. "Doesn't it feel good to let go?"

Her arms felt ten pounds heavier, her body sinking into the cement. Rai clenched her teeth and thrashed against the force keeping her still.

"You can't move, they won't let you," she groaned. "Not until you find the rest of your memories."

Do you know where my memories are?

Her voice's an undertone by Rai's ear. "I thought you wanted to forget us?"

Rai squirms underneath the pressure, her lips curling over her teeth. The figure's eyes narrowed into slits, a warm ominous glow floating up across her face. She towered over Rai, placing her clawed hand over her chest.

"You wanted to forget the pain and suffering. . ." She declared. "Did you not?"

Rai just cried, a fire spreading over her entire body.

The figure felt her grief soak into her hardened palms, retracting her arm with a sharp hiss. She was running out of time to get her confession.

"People like us can't forget so easily, Rai. We just suppress it until we're used to the pain." Rai could hear her smile as she laughed dryly. "Why do you want to undo all of your hard work?"

Because. . . I need to be stronger. . .

The figure crossed their arms, grunting when Rai managed to get herself to prop herself on her elbows. Her face was drenched with golden tears, her mouth in a twist.

Her frown deepened. "You don't deserve the truth."

But—