ɪɪɪ. ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴄꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ

Honestly, I don't want to critique, but there are some things I find wrong with every OC in a Harry Potter / Percy Jackson fanfiction

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Honestly, I don't want to critique, but there are some things I find wrong with every OC in a Harry Potter / Percy Jackson fanfiction. 

1. They're too powerful.

Ok, but here's what I don't get- Why do they have to be far too powerful for their own good? Why the hell does our OC have so much power that everybody loves her? 

Guys, you're giving them an unrealistic amount of power. Please, tone it down. I hate it when the OC is really powerful. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall and throw my laptop out the window. 

Honestly, this is mostly just the crossover OCs, the ones who're witches/wizards and demigods at the same time. The demi-witch/demi-wizard has powers from their godly parent and can also do wandless magic. 

And don't even get me started on the Harry Potter fanfiction character with more than one or two special powers or the demi-god blessed by all the gods. 

( They be making me cringe since I started reading fanfiction, but the amount of reads they get is insane )

MAKE THE OC HUMAN. I cannot, absolutely cannot tell you this enough times. GIVE THEM SOME FLAWS. 

Now, I know some people will defend themselves by saying, "But too much power is a flaw in itself!" 

No. Stop. That's not how it works. 

Here's what I suggest you do about it. 

Observe people and actual characters made by decent authors. In terms of fanfiction, I'll suggest Imaginebooksrickysjoshua, and any of the books I've put into my reading lists. In terms of real books, try the 'Fault In Our Stars' by John Green, maybe even other books by John Green ( he's great at creating characters ) or some books by the 'Rick Riordan Presents' authors. ( My favorite is Roshani Chokshi ) Holly Black is another I love ever so much.   

2. They wipe out other characters.

One simply cannot wipe out another character, a canon character, just because you want your OC to have a more major role. 

Please, bitch. Don't wipe out Hermione, our favorite girl, for some Sirius Black daughter who is over-powered and the typical 'mini-Sirius' who is going to be Harry's love interest ( I'm not saying this happens all the time, just a lot of times. If you're looking for exceptions, we have Celeste Potter by etheralxjnk. It's such a good book, even though I mostly spoiled it for you. )

Anyway, you also can't wipe out Ginny/Hermione because of an OC you want to be Harry's love interest or a part of the Golden Trio. So, please, don't wipe out characters, steal their lines, OR make your OC steal their moment of glory. 

Can someone tell me why the OC ALWAYS has to be a part of the 'gang' or the main characters? WHY CAN THEY NOT BE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT IN THE GANG OF THE GOLDEN TRIO OF PERCY JACKSON?

3. The Sibling/Twin is such an overused cliche

One of the most cliche plots in fanfiction- the sibling/twin plot. Honestly, it hurts me the number of times I've seen a Harry Potter twin sister story. Can't you not make it a twin story?

*Cue in the Addie-you-hypocrite-you-have-a-harry-potter-sister-story*

Honestly, hate on 'Orphic' all you want, but it's not a fucking cliche. 

I personally love HP sibling stories, 'Finding Mae' by messerslupin on ao3, and the stories by anotherweaslette here on Wattpad.

Some sibling/twin stories are actually good since they don't really cover a whole lot of cliche. When they do start to become a cliche is when the problem arises. Honestly, the reason these stories are hated on is that after a few of these stories, the plots and storylines all start to be so similar it's like you're reading the same story again and again. 

So, if you really DO wanna go with this OC, make sure they're not cliche. And please try other love interests, like Ron, Seamus Finnigan, and Dean Thomas ( Deamus!- my heart is squealing so loud )

4. Diversity is so little that it's almost negligible

Honestly, this pisses me off. A lot. 

So many authors always cast their MCs as white, I'm not saying that I don't do it, I'm just saying that if you can't find the appropriate caste, don't change the skin tone of your OC. Just describe their skin color as the one you want it to be!

As a POC, do you know how many times I've seen Indian/African/African-American/East-Asian people in fanfictions?

About ten times in a thousand, and that too, only in the books of WriterTiffany_0704. No one else. 

Now, if anyone says, "I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT FAN CAST!", I swear I'm going to spam you with face claim help books.

In fact, I might even make a reading list of those books. 

Anyway, that's all for this chapter, see you all next time!

𝐒𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠ᴮᵒᵒᵏ ᴴᵉˡᵖजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें