𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐭: 𝐖𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐞

When it comes to this platform, I have very mixed feelings

When it comes to this platform, I have very mixed feelings. One can find both amazingly good stuff on here as well as the seriously annoying one that has you gagging and dry heaving and screaming, "Where's the nearest toilet?" 

But no matter, for today Mama Dhara is ranting about all of that so YOUR books don't do that to people like me.

1. The super possessive and jealous male!OC

Okay, so I've ranted about something similar but recently I've been coming across a lot of books with this very plot. 

Like god what is with you guys? The girl starts talking to any male person who is not her brother/cousin and your Male lead gets all possessive and jealous like, "You're mine and only mine and don't you dare talk to that man again or I'll painful murder him." 

Now, don't get me wrong, a little bit of jealousy and protectiveness is healthy in a relationship ( it honestly makes it much more fun ngl ) but these male OCs are just wayyyy beyond that line. There is a difference between POSSESSION and PROTECTIVENESS, and please make sure to learn that. 

While doing this, please keep in mind that while yes, books with this kind of male characters are very enjoyable at times, but only and only if they are well-written. And if you do write a book such as this, please make sure to label it as 'dark romance' and give trigger warnings, because not a lot of people will like stuff like that.

All that said, I do enjoy my fair share of dark romances, but please make sure that the male!OC's characteristics have a relevant place in the plot and a reasonable back story that makes all of his quirks a bit more bearable, so to speak. 

2. The romanticisation of clearly toxic relationships

TW: Mentions of r@pe, ass@ult, and domestic violence. 

So here we are, coming to one of the major flaws I've seen in books: romanticisation. 

Don't get me wrong, if you want to write a toxic relationship with themes such as ass@ult, r@pe, or domestic violence, feel free to do so! But please, for the love of god, do not write some redemption arc where the perpetrator gives the victim some flowers, maybe a grand gesture and all is forgiven and forgotten. It doesn't work that way. 

Instead, why don't you recognise that what that person did is toxic and make a whole plot line on confrontation? That will go a long way to making your books less idealistic. Moreover, even if you want them to end up together in the end, please introduce an element of therapy or rehabillitation ( since most of the abusers are alcoholics or druggies ) to make it more realistic and better to read, in general. 

And while we're on the topic of romanticisation, let's talk about how it's really messed up. I genuinely feel that it's not only harmful to the self-respect of your characters, but if we talk about life beyond the books, you'll have to remember that a majority of Wattpad users are around 11-12 years, and they will be, without a doubt, influenced by what you write. So, if you want to romanticise toxicity, at least add a trigger warning or a little note saying that it's a work of fiction and that is not the way things work in real life. 

Also, can we have a book where the plot focuses around the victim breaking out of the relationship to find their own identity and moving on from it? 

3. The super depressed post-break up state

TW: Mentions of depression and su!c!de

I recently read a book where the main characters broke up and both of them were su!c!dal for 8 years straight. I can say from experience that a lot of ( heck, most of ) break-ups can and do cause depression, but this book just knocked it out of the park with the severe extent of it. 

I enjoy a book where there's post-breakup angst, depression, and a lot of emotions, but please write them realistically. I mean, if you're an adult in a casual relationship whose been dating for only two-three months, you're not going to get that depressed after a break-up, even if it's not the ideal situation. 

Just to help you out, here's some tips to write about depression: 

a. Symptoms:

i. Anxiety

ii. Exhaustion

iii. Broken Heart Syndrome: So, basically, this is something that's not written about in a lot of books but I feel would be really helpful. Basically, when you experience romantic love, your brain sends out a release of 'feel-good' hormones. Losing these chemicals suddenly can have a lot of physical and emotional impacts. Also, when we talk of emotional impacts, there is without a doubt a lot of emotional stress, which may trigger a rush of stress hormones which make you feel like you're having a heart attack. That is the broken heart syndrome.

To have clinical depression, however, you need to have several of the following symptoms ( just pick up a few and throw them into the life of your character to make it more realistic, but please don't overdo it, okay? )

Ongoing sadness or worryAn "empty" feelingIrritabilityTirednessGeneral feelings of guilt or worthlessnessNo hope for the futureLess interest in things you used to likeAppetite changesProblems in sleeping Trouble thinking clearly or making decisionsSlow moving or talkingRestlessnessHeadacheBody pain or stomach problem Thoughts of de@th or su!c!de

b. Risk Factors: Most people don't just develop clinical depression after a break-up. There are, however, certain risk factors that make it much more likely. 

i. History of depression

ii. Misuse of drugs and alcohol

iii. Adjustment disorder

iv. Lack of social support

v. Multiple stressors- please, please write more about this! What multiple stressors basically means is that you've got so much more going on in life than just a simple break-up. For example, you've just lost someone you loved. 

Now that you're informed, please write about post-depression break-up in a more realistic way instead of just being drastic and overdramatic in every facet. 

That's it for this chapter! I'll see you soon with a part two of this rant!

Peace out, Addie!